Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Using the Circular Pattern command how do I place 12 holes 30deg apart around an outer surface

ProblemSolverProblemSolver Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
I've produced probably over 1000 designs using Onshape over the past four years. However, I have not needed to use the Circular Pattern command on the outside surface of a Round bar before now. I have done something wrong with using this command, can someone please point me in the right direction?
The part that I am trying to create is the hub of a spoked wheel, I need to place 12 spoke holes 30deg apart into the hub. 
Please refer to the image below to see the method used so far.
Your help will be most appreciated.

Best Answers

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Try switching to feature pattern. Looks like you're trying to make a circular 'part' pattern on top of it's self kinda.

• Options
    romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
    edited November 2023 Answer ✓
    The feature that you are patterning was created by the Hole feature. In the last Update (only 3 weeks ago!) the Hole feature was updated to rename the feature to match hole. In your case, you made a Hole that has [diameter] 0.5 inches, and [depth] 0.5 inches.

EDIT: I just realized that @glen_dewsbury used the Hole feature - not your original post.

Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Try switching to feature pattern. Looks like you're trying to make a circular 'part' pattern on top of it's self kinda.

• Options
    Thanks Glen, yes this is exactly what I am trying to achieve, but for me and others that may follow in the future, what previous processes did you go through, to achieve this result. Apart creating the hub which is standard, what other things did you do, like for example in the features pattern is that 0.5in with the strange symbol followed by another 0.5in?
  • Options
    romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
    edited November 2023 Answer ✓
    The feature that you are patterning was created by the Hole feature. In the last Update (only 3 weeks ago!) the Hole feature was updated to rename the feature to match hole. In your case, you made a Hole that has [diameter] 0.5 inches, and [depth] 0.5 inches.

EDIT: I just realized that @glen_dewsbury used the Hole feature - not your original post.

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Any feature can be selected if it makes sense in the design except the one your making a circular pattern around.

• Options
    High Guys, thank you for this valuable feedback, I generally don't use the HOLE feature as most of the holes that I need are just plane old simple holes. However that said, I have transferred the advise that you guys have given to me to another project that I am working on, and now the problem is completely resolved.
    Thank you both so much for your prompt replies, it is most appreciated.