Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I check what material is applied?

When I am working on a part, how do I know if a material has already been applied, or what material has been applied?

Best Answer

• Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023 Answer ✓
    Hi Sean, I understand, though you don't need to dig very deep for this. Just a click on the BOM Tab on the right and one pulldown menu and you get an overview over all your parts and their materials. It even shows "--None--" if you assigned none to a part. Once the column is added, it is even but one single mouse click and just as top level as looking it up in the tree.

What I actually miss in that context is being able to assign materials from within the BOM table, ideally by multi-selecting parts there and then bulk-assigning materials to all of them. This could be quite helpful for larger assemblies.

Answers

• Options

• Options
    sean_trainor1988sean_trainor1988 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks, Martin. I wondered if there was somewhere more top-level to get this info without needing to go into properties or BOM tables. For example, in Solidworks and other CAD packages, the material is easily seen in the design tree.

I've also just noticed that if I go to apply a material to a part which already has a material applied, it will show me the current material there. 
  • Options
    edited November 2023 Answer ✓
    Hi Sean, I understand, though you don't need to dig very deep for this. Just a click on the BOM Tab on the right and one pulldown menu and you get an overview over all your parts and their materials. It even shows "--None--" if you assigned none to a part. Once the column is added, it is even but one single mouse click and just as top level as looking it up in the tree.

What I actually miss in that context is being able to assign materials from within the BOM table, ideally by multi-selecting parts there and then bulk-assigning materials to all of them. This could be quite helpful for larger assemblies.
  • Options
    stvnvl_8501stvnvl_8501 Member Posts: 119 PRO
    Hi, posted the same question at allmost the same time for appearances. . indeed, multi selecting/assigning in assembly  would come in handy. Is there allready a feature request to vote up? 
  • Options
    Hi, yes that would make sense for many part properties indeed. In my old CAD, where this was possible for almost all part properties, I used this method quite a lot. That way, I did not have to fill in a single field in the drawing title block when drawings were finally created. Also, there are these situations, when materials have to be changed for reasons of availablity or cost later in the process, often for a large number of parts. A list (especially when connected to a spread sheet) is pretty fast to edit, while going through individual parts to change their materials, is a tedious job. This has an impact on revisions, of course, but still, having one place to get an overview and also make changes is quite appealing.