Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Modifying Inserted Parts in Assembly

casey_2casey_2 Member Posts: 2
I'm working with a large library of available parts that I can Insert into my Assembly (from the FIRST Robotics library). I'm currently inserting an object like an aluminum extrusion, exporting it, importing it again, and then trimming it to length. I can't edit in context, nor can I create a version of it for my own use. My workflow feels cumbersome.

Is there a better way I can be doing this? 

Comments

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,549 PRO
    Use "derive" to create modified parts.
    Also if you need different lengths of the same thing you can use a configuration variable to have the lengths you need out of just one part.
  • Options
    shawncrockershawncrocker Member Posts: 8 PRO
    Why can't you edit in context?
  • Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    You can edit in context. It will affect all uses of the part. In current assembly and any other assembly/document that uses that same part.
    Configurations that Eric is suggesting allows as many variations as you need based on the same part model and can be used as one offs with out changing all parts in all documents.