Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

burning lines

I have a flat plate that I need to cut several slits in to make it like fingers while still being solidly attached at the bottom.  I can draw it in the sketch but when I extrude it, it makes it a solid plate without the slits. I need the slits to burn just a line and not a small box like space. 

Answers

• Options
    Matt_ShieldsMatt_Shields Member Posts: 231 PRO
    you can insert just the sketch into a drawing.

• Options
    johnny_cranejohnny_crane Member Posts: 5
    I tried to export just the drawing as a dxf but the lines still did not show up
  • Options
    robert_johnstonrobert_johnston Member Posts: 27 PRO
    Lines have no thickness, extrude the rectangle first, then remove lines using extrude, thin, remove and set the thickness to your kerf width. 

That will model it up in 3d for you and show on drawings.

But this may not create a correct dxf for a laser cutter if you just wanting slit lines. You can export your sketch to dxf by right click and export as dxf/dwg.

• Options
    Matt_ShieldsMatt_Shields Member Posts: 231 PRO
    Yeah, you probably don't want to make non-zero thickness features.  The laser will cut twice.  I right-clicked my drawing and exported as DXF and the sketch worked fine.

• Options
    johnny_cranejohnny_crane Member Posts: 5
    I tried to export just the drawing as a dxf but the lines still did not show up when I brought the file up to burn it.  It was just a solid piece with no lines, kind of like the image in the upper right of the above pic.
  • Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 484 PRO
    I would do a thin extrude like was mentioned. For the place I send my laser cutting to, I just do a thousandth or two, and the programmers correct it from there.