Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Assembly

john_brodowskijohn_brodowski Member Posts: 37
I asked this question and received guidance, but I am still not able resolve the issue.
In Pro-E, I model the parts, assign part numbers and save them in Pro-E folder.
When modeling the assembly, the first part is brought on the screen from the folder and is fixed.
All subsequent parts are recalled from the Pro-e folder,  placed on the screen and fixed to the assembly.

In On Shape, I have modeled 3 parts, assigned the part numbers to each one, and all of them appear in the Documents file.
I have assigned following names to them- Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3.
In the Documents file, where all the parts reside, I clicked on Part 1 and it opens on the screen.
In  the assembly mode, there is only one Instance, Part 1. 
Each individual part I bring on the screen is named Part 1 in the Instances. 
Searching for Part 2 and Part 3 shows no results. Where are Part 2 and 3 ?
I have no idea how to create Part Studio with all the parts in it. I am really confused

Answers

• pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    @john_brodowski Can you share the document you are working in to the larger community here, or even to a select few if you need?  That is one of the great aspects of Onshape.  The follow mode in Onshape is really cool for things like this.
  • navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @john_brodowski I saw your previous post I suggest you follow @pete_yodis advice of sharing the model to guide you better, in the meantime you can read this post : 
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/1529/assembling-imported-parts#latest

Is for imported parts but maybe it will help you clarify a bit where your parts are if this is the issue.

How to share: 
    https://www.onshape.com/cad-blog/tech-tip-sharing-in-onshape

Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    John-

Stop pulling your hair out trying to figure this out. It's being fixed and will change soon. I'm not sure there is a good answer to your question right now.

please stay tuned.....

• rbaekrbaek Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 77
    I asked this question and received guidance, but I am still not able resolve the issue.
    In Pro-E, I model the parts, assign part numbers and save them in Pro-E folder.
    When modeling the assembly, the first part is brought on the screen from the folder and is fixed.
    All subsequent parts are recalled from the Pro-e folder,  placed on the screen and fixed to the assembly.

In On Shape, I have modeled 3 parts, assigned the part numbers to each one, and all of them appear in the Documents file.
    I have assigned following names to them- Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3.
    In the Documents file, where all the parts reside, I clicked on Part 1 and it opens on the screen.
    In  the assembly mode, there is only one Instance, Part 1. 
    Each individual part I bring on the screen is named Part 1 in the Instances. 
    Searching for Part 2 and Part 3 shows no results. Where are Part 2 and 3 ?
    I have no idea how to create Part Studio with all the parts in it. I am really confused
    Do the parts appear in your parts list like this?

If you insert parts into your assembly, you should see your dialog like this:

You can then insert parts into your assembly by inserting the part studio.
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    john_brodowski  , I think you have created all three parts in different different document. For inserting all parts in assembly you need to put all parts in one document with the help of copy clipboard option and paste tab in required assembly document. After that you can insert all your three part in assembly as shown in below video.

• peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    Maybe I am not understanding the problem. Even if the user has made many parts in individual parts studios they are all available to insert into the assembly studio.
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    @peter_hall , I think @john_brodowski is facing inserting problem because he had created each part in different different document. If he will create each parts in individual parts studio in one document as mention by you, then he might never face that problem.
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    viru said:
    @peter_hall , I think @john_brodowski is facing inserting problem because he had created each part in different different document. If he will create each parts in individual parts studio in one document as mention by you, then he might never face that problem.
    This is correct.  @john_brodowski shared his documents with me and I was able to see that.  As you mention the parts need to be all within the same document at the moment.  This is a current limitation of Onshape at the moment.