Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Assembling imported parts

amit_kaisthaamit_kaistha Member Posts: 4
Hello All,
First time here. I have imported a few parts into on shape but they are in different workspaces. How do I assemble them?

Answers

• Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    @amit_kaistha Are the parts in different Onshape Documents?  Is that what you mean by "workspaces"?  If that is the case, then you can't currently reference across documents or "workspaces" as you call them.  You can only reference within a document, or "workspace".  You will have to import all the parts into the document or "workspace" where you want to use them.
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    @amit_kaistha

Looks like you pick a fairly complex issue for your 1st problem. First of all I don't believe that this is what the work spaces are intended to be used for. With that said,if you create a new blank work space then merge each workspace into the new one. In the new workspace you can create an assembly using the merged parts. This type of workflow has issues when attempting to merge complex subassemblies but for single parts in seperate workspaces it should work.

• Options
    da_vicki said:
    @amit_kaistha

Looks like you pick a fairly complex issue for your 1st problem. First of all I don't believe that this is what the work spaces are intended to be used for. With that said,if you create a new blank work space then merge each workspace into the new one. In the new workspace you can create an assembly using the merged parts. This type of workflow has issues when attempting to merge complex subassemblies but for single parts in seperate workspaces it should work.

@da_vicki : How do I merge this- sorry if I may be asking a very basic question

• Options
    sorry @amit_kaistha I assumed you were talking about documents.  Got it, you are referring to workspace in the version/branch functionality.  In order to merge, you must pick the state you want to merge into.  Merge is a pull, if I am not mistaken...
  • Options
    From your new workspace click the drop-down at the workspace you wish to merge from. Then select merge into current workspace. See pic.

• Options
    If You mean document and not workspace please refer to @pete_yodis post.
  • Options
    Thank you @pete_yodis and @da_vicki. I will follow the tactics that you suggest- BTW I have the basic version-do you think that has anything to do with workspaces?
  • Options
    Free or pro account It's all the same version.
  • Options
    Sorry still lost but I will try to explain as best as I can:

All three files are located in the same "Workspace"

I go to the Base_Bot file and under assembly mode I am unable to see these two parts

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help
  • Options
    @amit_kaistha What you are calling a "workspace" is actually a document.  The tool you are trying to use in the assembly will only import items from other tabs already in the current document.  It will not import items from other documents.  Onshape is working on this.  For now, you need to import the geometry or create your geometry all in the same document.
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @amit_kaistha What you are calling a "workspace" is actually a document. 
    it seems to me it's actually ALL his documents (at least, his recently opened ones)

What he is calling a workspace appears to be his entire document list. Of course this doesn't invalidate your advice. 

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited August 2015
    I hope that i have correctly understood the intent and would like to offer a few concepts;

1) When importing any number of external documents, you can either import them one-per-document OR, by initiating the import from inside a document (click on the '+' in the bottom left hand corner) you can import them one-per-tab. 

2) Where you have data in multiple documents (perhaps even 'standard' parts), it is entirely possible to copy them from one document to another. By RMB clicking over the part studio tab name (at the bottom of the screen) there is an option to 'copy to clipboard'. In the target document, click on the '+' and select 'paste tab' - BOOM! :)

3) In any given document, the ability to 'derive' a part or sketch from one part studio to another ASSOCIATIVELY and at any point in the feature history of a part studio is exceptionally powerful. 

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    @amit_kaistha What you are calling a "workspace" is actually a document. 
    it seems to me it's actually ALL his documents (at least, his recently opened ones)

What he is calling a workspace appears to be his entire document list. Of course this doesn't invalidate your advice. 

Yes, I can see in his picture that "Workspace" is a little confusing to someone not aware of the lingo.  There is no mention of document in the column that corresponds to documents.  Maybe a little clarification on the column headers wouldn't be a bad thing.  Maybe the column header for the documents should be named "Document Name", or just "Document" if it fits better.  Just thoughts...
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I hope that i have correctly understood the intent and would like to offer a few concepts;

1) When importing any number of external documents, you can either import them one-per-document OR, by initiating the import from inside a document (click on the '+' in the bottom left hand corner) you can import them one-per-tab. 

2) Where you have data in multiple documents (perhaps even 'standard' parts), it is entirely possible to copy them from one document to another. By RMB clicking over the part studio tab name (at the bottom of the screen) there is an option to 'copy to clipboard'. In the target document, click on the '+' and select 'paste tab' - BOOM! :)

3) In any given document, the ability to 'derive' a part or sketch from one part studio to another ASSOCIATIVELY and at any point in the feature history of a part studio is exceptionally powerful. 

And @amit_kaistha should know that option 2 does not create an associative link between documents.  Meaning:  If you want to make a change to a design you now have to change that design in 2 places if it is a copy.  And... I love option 3 :) Just bring it across documents and we can really start to fly.

• Options
    shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    @amit_kaistha You can export those imported files in same document (Post_arm and Carriage-arm-copy) They will appear as a separate part studio in those documents.

After that use RMB on the part studio tab and select "Copy to clipboard" then go to Base_bot, click on + sign and select "Paste tab". You will get those exported parts in the same document in different part studios, so that you can use them in assembly.

In case if the parts are created with Onshape, there is no need to export them. Just copy and paste will work. But there is no link between original and copied part.
  • Options
    @amit_kaistha

(or anyone who is confused) 

In document list shown below, the Column header "Name" refers to Document name.

The adjacent (grey) "Workspace" is actually another Column header. In your example, it shows that all the documents listed either have only one workspace (which by default is called "Main"). For a user who has created other workspaces. in the case of documents which when last closed were revealing another workspace, this column will show another name.

It might help comprehension if Onshape were to rethink the layout slightly. It wouldn't hurt if the word "Documents" featured more prominently (currently buried in the URL)

And perhaps a plus sign between  Doc Name + Workspace,  in the column header  ?

It seems to me the lack of column dividers means some other cue is needed so the use does not think that "Workspace" is an explanation attached to the heading "Name".  
    Workspace is not strictly a separate column, but an appendage to the Document Name column, as the above graphic demonstrates.

I wish it were possible to resize the Name + Workspace column wider. It's often only the last few words of a Document name which differentiate it from other related documents, and a wide monitor offers minimal advantage under the current layout.
  • Options
    stephen_dohanstephen_dohan Member Posts: 2

All other comments aside Philip_Thomas's answer is what I was looking for. Tried it. I works! Great for reusing designs in other documents. Thanks!
  • Options

All other comments aside Philip_Thomas's answer is what I was looking for. Tried it. I works! Great for reusing designs in other documents. Thanks!
    Just be aware, @stephen_dohan, that re-using designs in other documents is currently not associative: if you need to revise the design, the changes will not propagate.