Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to set "network and Region"

chris_butcher076chris_butcher076 Member Posts: 2
New to Onshape but fairly adapt in CAD  - my problem is how to change the "network and Region"!  I'm in Australia and would prefer to be connected to SYDNEY.  My current "Region" is 'us-west-2' - My "Expected region is 'ap-southeast-2' which is SYDNEY

Comments

• Options
    john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 360
    Hi Chris. Onshape auto-detects which region to send you to based on the IP address you use to lookup our service. This generally works very well, but can select an unexpected region in some cases. Here are the most common causes:
    • You are using a VPN that has your traffic enter the public internet somewhere far away from your actual location
    • You are using a company network that sends all traffic back to a "central" site that is far away from your actual location
    • You are using a DNS service that resolves DNS names far away from your actual location and doesn't support EDNS client-subnet
    • You are collaborating on a document that is already open in another region
    Looking at your traffic over the past 5 days, all your source IP addresses are coming from Sydney IP addresses. That's good. Looking at the regions your are hitting, I see 100% of your traffic going to Sydney. Also good. That means bullets 1-3 aren't in play for you here.

On December 7 and 8 (UTC times) I see you working on a document that's open in us-west-2 (Oregon, US). Otherwise, I see you accessing everything in ap-southeast-2 (Sydney). Your network latency metrics reflect this "long hop" to the US on the 7th and 8th, but is normally great (and much less than I get in the Boston area talking to the Oregon region).

Since Onshape is a global service, this all "just works", but you can see some performance problems if you are talking to a region that's far away from your current location.

With the low-latency that you normally see, I can imagine that the latency to us-west-2 felt slow. What kind of problems were you seeing that made you go look for performance metrics?
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    sören_svenssonsören_svensson Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    I'm having the same problem lately, except that I'm in Sweden and it refuses to pick an eu-... region. It seems like the location of my chosen DNS affects the decision since I can get different regions when querying.But mostly it seems to pick one halfway around the world, and I get bad performance because the latency is 250ms. It didn't complain about this before, so something must have changed.
  • Options
    john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 360
    edited January 30
    The DNS server you choose can make a huge difference. See my third bullet above. Can you change the DNS server you are using to something local? The one specified by your ISP is often a very good choice.
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.