Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Mobile UX changes

andrew_reid128andrew_reid128 Member Posts: 4
Hi, all.
The team that looks at User Experience on Mobile, for me IOS. Could you look at Shapr3D and the user experience it has. Yes understand Onshape is fundamentally different, but if I could mash the power of Onshape with some of the user experience (like position of menus, use of Apple Pencil) from Shapr3D I think we would have a winner.

Thinking this is the best place to start discussing, 

Anyone else here used Shapr3D?

Comments

• Options
    Ste_WilsonSte_Wilson Member Posts: 208 EDU
    I haven't. It looks impressive in the advertising. Is it a full parametric thing or something else? Is it really as easy as the adds make out to make complex parts?
  • Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7
    ... if I could mash the power of Onshape with some of the user experience (like position of menus, ...

Anyone else here used Shapr3D?
    From time to time, I tinker with Shapr.

Can't remember - but I'm thinking I probably have viewed one or two of the videos for beginners.

Interesting program.

I have only used it on my MacBook Pro so I have not used it with the Apple Pen.

It is interesting how you can click on an edge and fillet OR chamfer
    But after playing with it just now, I couldn't figure how to turn off tangent propagation.

Tried the same thing in Onshape and it was all right there in the Chamfer dialog. And it even let me adjust the legs of the chamfer individually within that one dialog - where as with Shapr, you had to use 2 different tools - one for equal legs and another for unequal legs of a chamfer. So I found doing a chamfer far easier in Onshape. Which leads me to think that even if I were proficient with Shapr, that I would still prefer the interface of Onshape as I’ve found it to be the most intuitive of all 3d CAD I’ve ever used.

At this point, parametric history is BETA in Shapr. So it will probably take some time to refine that aspect of the program

I am curious to know what is it about the POSITION of the menus that you prefer in Shapr.

• Options
    andrew_reid128andrew_reid128 Member Posts: 4
    I haven't. It looks impressive in the advertising. Is it a full parametric thing or something else? Is it really as easy as the adds make out to make complex parts?
    This post isn’t about the product of shapr3d and the CAD model generation. Onshape is the clear winner for that when I post it on its forum but the workflow on IOS is lacking I would suggest. I think the Onshape team could learn from Shapr3D about the workflow which really has a lot of User Experience differences. Workflow meaning the steps you have to take to obtain the desired result.

Shapr3D in my opinion does this exceptionally well. The layout is well placed for the way you would hold a tablet instead of the menus you have to go through in Onshape. 
    The first real point I’d like to understand why oh why is there only 2 buttons for typical CAD features. 1 for sketches and 1 for 3D features?