Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

working with imported assemblies

andre_brown101andre_brown101 Member Posts: 8
I need to import complex assemblies from parasolid and then create new parts within them, often using geometry from multiple parts in the import as reference geometry.

If I import to a single document I can preserve the assembly structure, but the parts in the part studio all overlap in space rather than preserving their assembly positioning.  this makes it a nightmare to edit imported geometry within the part studio, and impossible to create new parts that reference import part/assembly geometry.... which is unworkable.

If I import to a single part studio, the positioning of parts is now correct, but I loose the assembly structure... which is unworkable.

am I doing something wrong with the import settings?

Comments

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,568 PRO
    If you want to use the assembly as a reference for creating new parts why not create your new part(s) using an assembly context?
  • Options
    eva_willmseva_willms Member Posts: 1
    edited January 21
    Run 3 Preserving both the assembly structure and the correct positioning of parts can be crucial for efficient editing and creating new parts that reference the imported geometry.  
  • Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 299 PRO
    edited January 19
    I am also struggeling with this. From my old CAD, I know that I could import assembly structures in pretty much all formats that support assemblies, and have them parts and instances all in the right relative position in model space and also in the tree hierarchy. It was a one-step process and I do really really miss that in Onshape. It is probably the primary reason I could not yet use OS for those jobs where I get an assembly to add/modify parts within. And that's the majority of my jobs. Usually I get cars. I mean whole cars. With all stuff inside.

My currently tried workaround is to import into a part studio, then create an assembly, insert all, fix all, recreate only the relevant subassemblies in the tree, and delete the rest, to make it usable. Then I add my new parts in context or derive parts I modify. It is but a lame workaround, though, and not ready for production work. I'd really like to see how the OS pros do it.