Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is it possible for new parts in a part studio to auto add and group in assembley?

I am working with a parts studio that has many parts in it and more are continually being added as the design continues. I have these parts grouped in an assembly with other parts from other part studios. any time there is a new part created in that first part studio, it doesn't get added to the assembly, which I would expect I suppose, but what is somewhat annoying is that I have to add the new part and position/mate it into place each time. Another option is to remove every part from the first part studio and re-add them and redo a group mate, but then I have to redo all the other mates that were with other part studio parts. Another option is to do a union boolean in the first part studio and make it all one part, but this is somewhat tedious and not really desirable, as I would like to keep these parts separate for later isolating, drawing and referencing.

Is there a way that I could, when a new part is created in the part studio, add it into the assembly group mate already in place as it is in the part studio, either automatically or manually but quickly? I also understand it might not be possible considering one might want to move parts in the assembly into different positions than they have in their part studio. Maybe someone has an easier solution than any of the ones I described above? Or possibly a feature could be added to add a part from a part studio and auto group it in position when you select another part from the same parts studio, just grabbing the same relative positioning between the 2 parts. That would be at least faster than having to fully constrain a part each time.

Best Answers

Answers