Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Measured Variable in a Variable Studio

I have just started using the Variable Studio feature in order to have variables across multiple Part Studios. It is a great tool! However I can't seem to figure out if it is possible to have a driven variable (Measured) like you can do with a variable in a Part Studio. I am hoping to grab a measurement from one of the Part Studios and use it across other Part Studios. Also I would be calculating other variables in the Variable Studio based on that measured variable. Is this feature possible yet? If it is, it isn't intuitive to find and I can't seem to find anything searching online. 

Best Answer

• Options
    _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 296
    Answer ✓
    Not possible at the moment; you can help us prioritize this by submitting an improvement request.

The conceptual difficulty with such a workflow is that the Part Studio and the Variable Studio would form a circular reference, so we'd need to construct something that avoids that, such as our Assembly in-context mechanism. Even if we did implement this, though, you'd have to deal with manually updating "contexts", which could be laborious and error-prone.

The two recourses now are 1. just do all the math in your Variable Studio, computing the measured quantity there. This is often possible and tends to be the simplest solution. Or 2. keep the measured variable in the Part Studio, use the SuperDerive feature to import it into other Part Studios. But then you can't import it into a Variable Studio.

And I should mention that you can copy the measured value into the Variable Studio, but that's obviously non-parametric.

Answers

• Options
    _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 296
    Answer ✓
    Not possible at the moment; you can help us prioritize this by submitting an improvement request.

The conceptual difficulty with such a workflow is that the Part Studio and the Variable Studio would form a circular reference, so we'd need to construct something that avoids that, such as our Assembly in-context mechanism. Even if we did implement this, though, you'd have to deal with manually updating "contexts", which could be laborious and error-prone.

The two recourses now are 1. just do all the math in your Variable Studio, computing the measured quantity there. This is often possible and tends to be the simplest solution. Or 2. keep the measured variable in the Part Studio, use the SuperDerive feature to import it into other Part Studios. But then you can't import it into a Variable Studio.

And I should mention that you can copy the measured value into the Variable Studio, but that's obviously non-parametric.
  • Options
    cougar_amedacougar_ameda Member Posts: 2
    Is this still not possible? I would find it extremely useful right now. I'll see what I can do with SuperDerive for now.
  • Options
    michael_crinnionmichael_crinnion Member Posts: 2
    I would also like to be able to do this. I don't like having variables spread out across part studios and variable studios, I prefer to have them all in a variable studio. But this means I am completely rules out of using measured variables which is detrimental. Perhaps it's me being overly pedantic with my document set-up but I would like this feature.
  • Options
    martin_dangermartin_danger Member Posts: 9
    _anton said:

Might there be a third way? If your desired measurement comes from a part, you could 'Derive' the part to import it into your part studio and then create the variable from there. Not ideal of course, you have to do that for every part studio, but it would update the variable if the part changed.