Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Use picture projected on plane as reference

adam_mercieradam_mercier OS Professional Posts: 33 ✭✭
Hello all,
A lot of CAD packages offer the option of using a picture as base reference for a scetch or part design.
1- Do this feature exist in Onshape? (I did not find anything like it)
2- Will this feature be implemented/developped?

Best Regards,
Adam

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    raino_paananenraino_paananen Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited June 2015
    @adam_mercier ;
    This doesn't exist yet in OS. There have been alot of folk requesting for it, me ingluded And I believe it is under development or at least on the list of things to do Maybe someone from the OS team will chime in with the latest news for this feature.

Raino
  • Options
    daniel_chowdaniel_chow Member Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    Old thread I know, but I'd like to share what I just learned. 

Using a part to project snap points / constraints on a new sketch

Ok I've found a great solution to a problem I'm having. See below:

I'm trying to sketch a centered construction line going lengthwise through the middle of the grey colored shaft. Eventually I'm going to revolve a thread down the length of the shaft. Below shows a new sketch #10 started from the FRONT pane. 

This is the problem I'm having. I am trying to draw a construction line down the center of the circular shaft then thru the middle of the cylindrical shaft. As you can see, I cannot "snap to" or find any constraint points on the shaft. So I can only estimate the center. 

Using the "use / intersect" tool, I can select a part and use its sides or intersections in a new sketch. I now have some "snap-to" points where I can draw / snap / constrain my construction lines. Essentially what this appears to do is allow you to use the lines / intersections of your extruded parts for new sketches. 

I found "projected" in a sample sketch in the tutorial section and searched it. 

Not sure why my model doesn't show any "projected" constraints? But oh well, it works!

• Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    When you project the silhouettes of the cylinder, the system makes an approximation of where the endpoints are.  If you want to fully constrain them, you either need to use a coincident or pierce constraint (depending where the sketch is) on the end point.  
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com