Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Closed Point problem exporting to DXF / DWG

Hello everyone I have searched all over the forum trying to find my issue but I'm not seeing the same issue; so I'll post here in hopes of getting help! I'm trying to export a face to DXF or DWG and so I click the face, export then pick my DXF / DWG options. I have tried it all different ways and a TON of different combinations but nothing works to get a good export. Every time my buddy tries to import it into Corel X8 for cutting on his machine he tells me that the "points are not closed" so he cannot export to his CAM program. Do I need to do something special to get my points to close for him? Please help!

Answers

• Options
    christopher_moore072christopher_moore072 Member Posts: 9 EDU
    my friend who uses AutoCad for a living also confirmed this to be true. No matter what I try it won't work properly. His reply was: "None of the lines were connected for tool pathing. I p-lined them and exported it to eps and dxf."
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    Can you share the DXF (or better the Onshape document) here?
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    OK I have made this Project Public for you
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c5fccd51c601ed80a3b06cfc/w/e53b8411062f27c73e071b91/e/ecbedb608d0acc7f61d6b264

Just click the top face of the odd Moon shaped piece and export. That's what I'm trying to do.
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    I used to have the same issue with my old Vectric CAM software. It would throw an error stating all the Onshape geometry was open.  However it also has a tool that merged open vectors to create closed ones. Could you be that this CAM software also has such a feature?  All that was required was a box select and merge.

Owen S
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    michał_1michał_1 Member, Developers Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    It's a common problem when exchanging dxf/dwg files between different tools.
    In Corel, I use Boundary tool with Nudge tool and Combine tool.
    It takes a few moments but it's the best for solving problems with disconnected vectors.
  • Options
    I'll pass this on to my friend to have him try it. Nudge & Combine tools. Thank you for the suggestion!
  • Options
    My buddy said that the boundary tool worked for him to close the points! Any suggestion as to what version of DXF I choose to export if I'm going to his Corel x8?  I picked the oldest version (Release 11-12). But maybe I should be picking something newer? Also I did not check the box to export splines as polylines. Is that what you'd recommend or something else? Please let me know as I'd like to be doing the best (most compatible) trouble-free exports for my friend who is milling my parts for me.