Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

What do _you_ use driven dimensions for?

michael_mcdonald047michael_mcdonald047 Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
Are driven dimensions just for saving the trouble of consulting a calculator or is there more to them.  Referring here to driven dimensions within sketches, not drawings.  The value of adding reference dimensions onto a shop drawing is clear, but why within sketches?

Michael

Comments

• Options
    michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    Sometimes that reference geometry can be a great way to keep track of design intent for you or the next fellow. I also use them when altering how something is drawn or changing the original design intent to have a more predictable change without the sketch going nuts.

I will add several reference dims, right click them and set them to driving. This will over define the sketch but hold things in place as I set existing dimensions to driven. Essentially I'm swapping which dims or constraints drive the sketch.

I find that purposely over defining the sketch can be a great way to trouble shoot with more predictable behavior.
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited September 2018
    Well said.
    The ability to toggle an existing dimension between driven and driving can be useful. 
    Say we have a plate with a hole in it and we dimension the hole both from the centre and the edge by using two dimensions.  By changing which is the driving dimension we can control what happens if we change the size of the plate.  Do we want the hole to stay put relative to the edge or the centre? 
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd