Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Drawing: How To Create a Linear Diameter Dimension?

Don_Van_ZileDon_Van_Zile Member Posts: 195 PRO

I would think there would be a way to attain this Linear Diameter Dimension style, but can't figure it out. I would think the "2 Point Linear Dimension" would give me what I wanted since the "2 Point Center Line" is the exact behavior I would expect for that dimension style (that snapping behavior is perfect); it's perfect for Center Lines! Is this a current limitation in drawings?

Comments

• michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    Place a dimension anywhere so its on the page, then drag the grips to the quadrants for that dimension. I think quadrants should be valid on dimension creation, but they only seem to pick up once the dimension has already been placed.
  • Don_Van_ZileDon_Van_Zile Member Posts: 195 PRO
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @Don_Van_Zile - when the dim tool is active, press Shift + Q to activate quadrant snaps

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    NeilCooke said:
    @Don_Van_Zile - when the dim tool is active, press Shift + Q to activate quadrant snaps

That's certainly a better way. I would still love the "active snapping" as shown with the 2 Point Center Line; again it's so convenient for "almost" anything. 
    Just a potential UX idea for the Shift and/or Control keys etc... :)

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    It used to be on by default, but it annoyed some users (apparently).
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    edited September 2018
    It was FAR more annoying not knowing how to do it or that it could be done.  ;)