Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Name new parts after the feature that created them

I often name my part studio features, and almost always do when the feature creates a new part.  I hate having to rename the new part and retype or copy and paste the name.  Can you make it so that, if the part is created by a feature with a custom name (i.e., not "Extrude6", etc.), then the new part is named the same as that feature?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @justin_gasal Naming conventions being automatic is just not widely shared.  Users want parts named with part numbers or want their features named to match the part.  Part studios can build multiple parts and can be impacted my multiple features so naming is very subjective.  
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    svenolov_nystromsvenolov_nystrom OS Professional Posts: 64 PRO
    As a new part is created I use to rename the feature with part name (patr number) , it is essential to keep all features close after the part, best is to to put all the features in a folder named the part number. 
    Move the ruler to the last feature in the folder And pay attension to referenses if you make new feature.
    For some reason it is not possible to copy and paste name in features. (anymore)

It is ok if you only make short tutorials. 
    But handling all parts in a manufactoring company is another pice of cake
    It is too much manual keying with risk for error in Onskape
    Rename a feature with part name automaticly would work well, if not it should be possible to disable it