Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

sketch toolbar

michael_watersmichael_waters Member Posts: 4
May seem really dumb but the sketch toolbar won't appear no matter what I do now. Started from scratch, step by step, open new sketch, choose sketch plane, stays on feature toolbar. 

Answers

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check near the top, where the Document name appears, that it is not "View Only"
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Thanks. No, it just says "Main". Status says "in process"
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @michael_waters What browser are you using?  Is this on a new document or something existing?  If you can, hit the ? menu and select Feedback and capture your screen so we can figure out what is happening.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    I'm using google. First day using Onshape. I had been creating shapes etc. Probably something really silly but tried to find other examples or questions and stumped. Sending screenshot through feedback. It's not a file specific issue since it's doing the same with a new file.
  • Options
    Problem solved by Lou. Shift refresh (return to documents) restored back to normal. Thanks for the rapid response
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    SHIFT + Refresh will dump and reload cache.... sometimes these odd client side anomalies can be corrected by this quick keystroke. 
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    julian_kingjulian_king Member Posts: 6
    I'm having the same problem. I'm a newbie to Onshape with some Inventor experience. It looks brill but I'm stumbling at the first hurdle. Creating a sketch but can't get the sketch toolbar to replace the features toolbar. I don't have a Refresh button on my keyboard, but I've tried Shift+F5, nothing doing.

Any help would be mightily appreciated.
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "Refresh" or "Reload" is activated by right mouse button clicking on the browser tab.
    Try doing this while holding Shift, for cache reload.
  • Options
    Hi, Andrew, thanks for answer. I've found the Reload command on the browser tab but clicking on this while pressing Shift or not pressing Shift makes no changes to the toolbar. The screen refreshes but the features toolbar stays doggedly loaded.
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing or submit a feedback (ctrl + u while seeing the problem) so we can see?
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    Thanks, Jake. I've just submitted a feedback with screenshot on a document called new test. Hope you got it.
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    edited August 2015
    The sketch toolbar is only shown when inside of a sketch and a sketch plane is selected.  The feature toolbar is shown otherwise.  The sketch is essentially a feature.

1. With no feature active, we have the feature toolbar.  There is a button on the feature toolbar that says 'Sketch' with a pen/pencil attached to it.  Select this to start a sketch (alternatively use the 's' hotkey).

2. When a sketch is started, if a planar face or plane is selected it becomes populated as the sketch plane.  If not, the toolbar switches to remind the user to select a sketch plane.  The sketch is active as indicated by the dialog that says 'Sketch 1' in this case with a bluebox for selecting the sketch plane.  Similarly, in the featurelist the active feature will be bold.

3. After selecting a sketch plane, the sketch toolbar shows.  The sketch is still active and sketching can be done.

4. Hitting the green checkmark accepts/commits the sketch and it is now in the feature tree to be used.  Hitting the red x cancels all changes to this feature.  In the case of feature creation, hitting the red x will remove the feature entirely.  In this case I hit the green checkmark and submitted my (admittedly empty) sketch which brings me out of the feature and shows the feature toolbar again.

5. To edit the previously made sketch, double click on the sketch in the feature tree or right-click and chose 'Edit...'.  This will open up the feature and show the sketch toolbar again.

I hope this helps clarify when and why the sketch toolbar appears.
    1.png 309.1K
    2.png 314.4K
    3.png 384.8K
    4.png 311.2K
    5.png 354.2K
    6.png 373.6K
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    Got it! Many thanks! I guess I didn't expect to proceed while the little box with Sketch 1 is showing, and that may have thrown me off. But I guess you need something to remind you to finish the sketch. I'm not sure how it is with Solidworks. I've only used Inventor where the green cross appears in the menu bar while you're sketching.

Many thanks for your help. The Onshape CAD system looks really great!