Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to put hole through plane

nicole_croninnicole_cronin Member Posts: 2
edited October 2018 in Community Support
I'm trying to bore 6 holes in a plane for a headplate. I can't seem to figure out how to put a hole through my plane. It says to sketch a hole, and I can't quite figure it out. I know it's probably simple, but I haven't used this in a while. Photo below:

Edit: I've just realized I've put this in the wrong topic. I'm sorry. I'll repost it somewhere else as well

Answers

• Options
    grochinogrochino Moderator, Onshape Employees, User Group Leader Posts: 44
    edited October 2018
    Hi @nicole_cronin I will move your post to the Community Support category.

See more information here on the steps for using the Hole feature: https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/hole.htm?
    You need to draw a sketch first and you can use those sketch points to define where your hole will go.

You can also create a cut in your model with an Extrude Remove. See more information here under the Extrude Remove section:  https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/extrude.htm?
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    edited October 2018
    From what I can tell on the image above, It looks like you have forgotten to place a sketch first to layout your points.

In solidworks you would use the hole wizard first, then it would create an embedded hole location sketch.
    Onshape will have you create a separate sketch first, then simply pick "Points" for the Hole command.
    I realize it says "Sketch points to place holes" in the selection above, but it really means "Choose points or vertices to place holes"

At first this may seem like extra work, but this actually allows you to define your holes within the initial sketch if you like, or chose any endpoint from any existing geometry or sketch directly.

In the end giving you less work when defining multiple plates with the same hole pattern for instance.