Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

What's the right workflow to assemble something simple like a cage?

declan_ollerdeclan_oller Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
Hi, I want to make a very simple box cage. I've watched the Intro to Sketching course, which was really helpful, and now I'm trying to implement it.

I made one sketch, which is the top of the cage, in the default Top plane. Then, I made another plane parallel to the Top plane, a "Bottom" plane, that will be the bottom of the cage (it's a little different than the top; it's not exactly a cube). My first question is, should I even bother making a second plane for the Top sketch? Or can I make it using the same plane, since I can import them separately into the assembly?

Also, should I try aligning sketches (the way I'll want them to be eventually) in the Parts studio or just do it in the assembly? I couldn't find a good way of aligning/mating the sketches in the Parts Studio, so I'm guessing that's not necessary? Is the idea to just make the sketches for the different sides of the box in the Parts Studio, and then import them into the Assembly and deal with actual orientations/positions/etc there?

I looked for a course on this here, but couldn't find one on this. Any tips would be appreciated, thanks!

Answers

• Options
    declan_ollerdeclan_oller Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Actually this illustrates my question well I think: https://www.onshape.com/videos/creating-weldments

I'm trying to do that, using the Beams feature. In the video it seems like when he creates the Beam out of a sketch, he uses the fact that they're already aligned to trim them and miter them. Does that mean for Beams, I should be aligning different sketches in the Parts Studio?
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    edited November 2018
    You should only model 1 or 2 (maybe more if they are truly associated with each other) parts in a single part studio if possible. 

If you plan on bringing these into an assembly, you only need worry about the "unique" pieces. Everything else can be patterned in the assembly.

I assume you will be making a wire-frame type of cage (dog cage), so there may be odd mate points. So you may also consider adding a couple of reference mate connectors in your part studio to help with assembly mates where necessary.

I would start with a rectangle sketch, then one horizontal line and one vertical line (which will become the cage's wire mesh)
    make one top, copy that part studio and modify it to make the bottom, copy that modify it for back piece, copy that modify it for a side, then do the door and latch.

Then bring them into sub assemblies and pattern the wire mesh as needed. Should be fairly simple in the end.

Don't worry too much about sketch alignments, as the mates in assembly will take care of that for you. Just break it down into weldable pieces and put them together that way.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    edited November 2018