Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Assemblies (Snap Mate when Inserting)

owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
edited November 2018 in Using Onshape
Hi folks.

One for the "It would be nice one day" pot.

When inserting parts in an assembly that contain their own explicit mates it currently feels a bit wrong that we can't snap them into place by wafting them on top of existing mate connectors in the assembly.

In this example I'm inserting a "Pin" that has two mates of its own.  The part I'm about to attach it to also has a mate... 

It'd be great if these mate points would "wake up" when we hover over them and then build a mate if we "LMB-release" over them.

For bonus points it'd be nice if we were prompted on type of mate required, and were given the opportunity to name it, but I'd settle for an unnamed fasten mate if that makes it easier!

Cheers,

Owen S
Business Systems and Configuration Controller
HWM-Water Ltd

Comments

• brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    This is kind of like inserting standard components.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    Try turning snap mode on before you insert
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    DOH, I hope you're keeping a tally of the number of times you've made me look like an amateur this year! Erm, yes, snap mode does most of what I've asked for here :(

I'll leave the request open as I'd still like to waft a part round that contains multiple explicit mates (as the screen-grab above) as I'd like to wake up which mate is used.  In the example above I was only able to snap to the top of the pair of mates defined on the pin.

Cheers, Owen S.

HWM-Water Ltd
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    I think there is a shortcut key like ctrl to switch the mate connector
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • malay_kumarmalay_kumar Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 93
    'ctrl' key should switch to next mate connector of part. I don't see it documented in keyboard shortcut list. I will get that documented. 
  • malay_kumarmalay_kumar Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 93
    BTW it works for inserting subassemblies also. It will cycle through explicit mate connector even when those mate connectors are hidden. 
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    @malay_kumar, many thanks.
    Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd