Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape, CAD, maker project and design.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:

1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Release Management - Design Reviews

michael_bromleymichael_bromley Member Posts: 36 PRO
We are using the release management process with decent success, however one area we struggle with is conducting a proper design review prior to release.  Typically we will host a design review in the model prior to detailing that is informal. After some further work the detailed model is submitted for release in a release package.  If there are any errors found the release package must then be either discard or rejected, the changes made, and then resubmitted for release.  Any commentary made in the release package stays with that package and does not carry through in the document.  In some of our larger releases it can be tedious to put together the release package.

I propose a design review package that would travel within the document across versions.  Essentially a release package, but not fixed at a current version of the document, it would move across versions until it is changed to a release package.  This would allow commentary/feedback to be tracked, the package updated and modified as necessary, and changes made to the models.  Then when the reviewer and designer are satisfied with it, the package could be switched to a release package which would fix the version and go through the normal release process.

Would anyone else find this beneficial?

Comments

• raj_Onshaperaj_Onshape Onshape Employees Posts: 72
    Would you ability to create a release package from a rejected candidate with comments carried over and all items updated to the current workspace meet your needs ? If so please create and vote on a improvement request for the same
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 48 PRO
    As someone working in the medical device field with a need to capture design history (changes made, rationale for changes, etc.) for regulatory purposes, I think this would be helpful functionality. I haven't thought about his enough yet to be able to offer more detailed suggestions for what I would like to see or how I would use it. But, I wanted to express my support for development in this area. 

All of that said, it seems like being able to create a release package from a previous candidate would have some value too. 
  • michael_bromleymichael_bromley Member Posts: 36 PRO
    edited December 6
    Would you ability to create a release package from a rejected candidate with comments carried over and all items updated to the current workspace meet your needs ? If so please create and vote on a improvement request for the same
    That would certainly be an improvement.  There are two main issues as it exists today:

1. Having to recreate the entire release package with each rejection
    2. Flow through of commentary including feedback and corrections made

That improvement would target both of those.  The only additional benefit to a design review package would be that it would carry through intermediate versions (between the rejection and the recreation of the release package) of the document and be a central repository for all commentary.  In addition there could be multiple stages of the package.  For example Initial Design Review -> Critical Design Review -> Release.  A real pipe dream would be to set up the standards for who needs to be involved in this gated process review.