Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Chrome ran out of memory

Brian_McVeighBrian_McVeigh Member Posts: 78 PRO
edited December 2018 in General
Lately I've been working in Onshape and getting Chrome crashing with this error: 

(just realised I captured the wrong error...under learn more it said it ran out of memory, and to try closing tabs)

I'd say it happens once or twice a day at the moment, always in the same file, normally with 2 tabs of Onshape open.  The workstation I'm using has 16gb of ram - is there any way to allow Chrome to access more of this for Onshape as I don't think I've ever noticed it go above 2gb.

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,374
    Hi @Brian_McVeigh - Chrome usually creates a process for each window, plus many others. Does that 2Gb include all the chrome processes? Firefox has better memory management, so in the short term can you try that and see if it behaves any better? If it is still causing you problems, please open a ticket.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Brian_McVeighBrian_McVeigh Member Posts: 78 PRO
    Yeah that 2GB was all processes the last time I checked, but I'll do some more testing.  Trying out firefox at the moment, but I get terrible lag in the viewport - the performance test says it failed to run as firefox is refreshing at below 60fps - trying to find a fix for that now!
  • Options
    Daniël_van_KoutrikDaniël_van_Koutrik Member Posts: 4 PRO
    Has there been a fix for this? Currently having the same 'out of memory' problems, which prevents me from releasing big assemblies
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,374
    Has there been a fix for this? Currently having the same 'out of memory' problems, which prevents me from releasing big assemblies
    Chrome has this limitation and now shows how much RAM seemingly innocuous webpages are using, which is very useful, so make sure you close any unused tabs especially non-Onshape ones. Currently, Firefox is the only option if you are hitting RAM limits in Chrome.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI