Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Cloud-based software

andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2015 in Using Onshape
I use a Chromebook, and in most respects I'm an enthusiast, bordering on a rabid convert.

But one thing I dislike is the scenario, quite recurrent, where something about the operation changes without my knowledge, let alone consent.

Sometimes it's just something minor. Recently an advisory strip has started dropping down briefly but regularly advising me how wide the display is, or possibly the browser window. (Probably the former, because it always seems to read "Width= 1366")
But I have no idea what purpose this is supposed to serve, what triggers it, or when, nor how to turn it off if I don't want it. Because I don't know what it's called, it's not easy to Google for enlightenment.

Other times it has been more annoying or even a temporary show-stopper. At some point, the creation of a new Google Doc changed from whatever it had involved (presumably a menu pick) to a nondescript icon which had secretively snuck onto the bottom right of the window. (A white plus sign in a solid blue circle). (and recently changed again to a red circle !$%!?!)

A word processor is useless when you can't get a sheet of paper to write on.

It just occurred to me how this feels. To me, it's a bit like having a flatmate who comes into your bedroom while you're out, and moves stuff around, or takes it away and brings in new stuff.

And that person won't tell you what they took away, and sometimes you're not sure it was ever there, or exactly what it was; you just knew you used it.

I think a well-behaved Cloud app should have a running log which records ALL changes, briefly, with links to more complete explanations.

As Onshape settles down (after launch) I would like to see this solidification. At present, I can accept that the development team have other priorities than documenting every added feature, although I think Onshape would get better feedback from the beta users if they knew what had been added in order to try it out thoroughly. 

But I think when something is removed, that should ALWAYS be flagged and documented.

I wonder if anyone shares any of these concerns?

Comments

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I agree. This is very good discussion as someday Ons will be ready enough for round 2 and then it won't be just additions but rather changes and removal of 'good old stuff'.

I hate it when you login to say a web-bank to quickly pay some bills and the whole system has changed 'over night'. You can't find anything unless you use half an hour to examine new system. And probably they have removed some handy everyday feature because it was done with old technique and new technique doesn't support similar workflow. Who cares about the technique behind if the feature itself was better than same done with newer technique.
    Or ipad email client, every update changes the way how to quickly delete an email. I've started using menu buttons since I don't know what to wipe in which direction and how long anymore.

Removal or change of any (even minor) current feature, menu, shortcut or such should be always documented and reported with a new alternative or reason for removal. Bigger changes (in UI for example) should go step by step or so that user can choose to use the old one for a limited time to pick a suitable time for learning things again. 
    //rami