Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is there a good way to reorient "Part 1" for STL export?

christopher_owenschristopher_owens Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
Hello,

I have a Part Studio with multiple parts (Part 1, Part 2,...) and I am exporting only Part 1 to a STL. Part 1 needs to be reoriented for 3D Printing. I thought of putting only "Part 1" into an assembly so it could be oriented properly... but you can't "Export to STL..." an assembly. I don't want to Transform the existing Part 1 in the current Part Studio. I could Copy Part 1 and reorient it, and export Part X to the STL. (Maybe I just answered my own question.) I thought of opening a new Part Studio and "copying" Part 1 into it so I could manipulate it there. Is there a way to do that I haven't yet?? IGES out and back in??

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Figured I'd add my thought here... Transform in Parts Studio to work similar to the Triad is Assembly?? Translate-Rotate-Copy-Scale all in one operation? I have a Boolean Tool that I want to "Translate-Rotate-Copy-Scale" to make "random" patterns in a plastic part (imagine rain drop ripples). Whole lotta  separate Transform operations. Or do all the Transforms, connect the dots, and Boolean the thing into one part... then can do a Boolean Subtract... Oh yah, it is the select Axis for Rotate that gets the "Sigh...have to sketch a line.."

• Options
    Learn to do the Scale and Rotate operations where the "Master" Part is with the sketched "scale point" and "rotate axis".

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Well, as usual, after a little thought... I did a couple Transforms, then a Linear Pattern, then separate Transforms on the Parts "within" the Pattern. Hmm... 

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Well now... playing around with the XYZ distance of the separate Transforms and which edge I use to Rotate the Parts... the Pattern starts to look "random"! Do a couple of Scales...

• Options
    navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    christopher_owens said: I thought of putting only "Part 1" into an assembly so it could be oriented properly... but you can't "Export to STL..." 
    Hi @christopher_owens, know you already figured out, just wanted to comment on the above, in the assembly module you can Export to STL. Use RMB on the active assembly tab and select Export, you'll see the STL option on the Format drop down menu.

Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • Options
    Thanks @nav ! I think that was an update after my original post.