Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Multiple complex subtractions from solid

Suppose I have a block of material and complex sketch on one of its surfaces that will be extruded to remove material. I will need to remove the same sketch shape of material from the block in several locations that are not it a uniform pattern. At present, I have not found a way to either 
1) duplicate sketch an move to proper location
2) duplicate resulting extrude and move to proper location.
Am I missing something?

Furthermore this same shape will be used in future parts, so it would be nice to be able to save the sketch or resultant extruded solid for future use. 

Best Answers

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @benjamin_rockwell
    What you can perhaps do is leave your sketch where it is, make your extrude a separate body (choose "New" rather than "Add") and use "Transform" to move it to where you want. Then you can add it (or subtract it, for a "Cut-Extrude" result) using a boolean feature.

Answers

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited June 2015
    1) duplicate sketch an move to proper location - is possible

First create the original shape and extrude/subtract
    then start another sketch in location that you need it, select tool 'Use (Project/Convert)' and click the original shape so you will have the shape in current sketch.
    then click 'Show constraints' and you should see a little box telling you that profile is constrained with 'Use' to another profile
    click that little box and hit delete, your free to move the shape where you wan't

Try it out and let me know if you need screenshots or further explanation
    //rami
  • Options
    benjamin_rockwellbenjamin_rockwell Member Posts: 6
    Further explanation would be great. 

I start a new sketch on a face, select the Use(Project/Convert) tool. The tool tip says to select the geometry to project, but only allows me to select edges or faces. I don't think I understand how this tool is supposed to work. Any further explanation would be appreciated.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    You need to first create the sketch you wan't to copy

Then when you are in another sketch, you can 'use' that shape that you created earlier and when you remove the constraint, you can move it around.
    //rami
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I have done that, but after I select a previous sketch and select Use,  a large number of "Projected" constraints are show for the sketch I am copying. In this case roughly 40 constraints.  I don't see any "little box telling you that profile is constrained with 'Use' to another profile".
    Here are my steps:

Create sketch 1:
    Create sketch 2:
    Select sketch 1 and click the Use tool.

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @benjamin_rockwell
    What you can perhaps do is leave your sketch where it is, make your extrude a separate body (choose "New" rather than "Add") and use "Transform" to move it to where you want. Then you can add it (or subtract it, for a "Cut-Extrude" result) using a boolean feature.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    @3dcad 
    That is what I feared. 
    Thanks for your help and quick replies!! OnShape is shaping up nicely, but has a little ways to go yet. Looking forward to future!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    @andrew_troup
    Thanks! This solves my problem.