Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:

1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Mass Exporting Step and Drawing Files

michael_bromleymichael_bromley Member Posts: 63 PRO
I have not done any work with featurescripts yet, but I'm hoping to explore this as an option.  I'm mainly looking for feedback on whether or not what I am after is possible through feature scripts.

Outsourcing fabrication work requires that we export a step file and a pdf drawing for each part to be made.  Currently this requires me to dig through the document, locate each part, export and save as the part number + revision and then rinse/repeat with the drawings.  As you can imagine this is a cumbersome and lengthy process.

Would it be possible to write a feature script to automate this process?  Essentially I need a way to select a bunch of parts and drawings and then export in some standardized naming convention that is a derivative of the part number and revision.

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,095 PRO
    Sorry, no.  FS will only build features within a partstudio. It's deliberately restricted to what it has access to.   You may be able to do something via an API but that's a tad more more complicated.

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Production Engineer
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • michael_bromleymichael_bromley Member Posts: 63 PRO
    Sorry, no.  FS will only build features within a partstudio. It's deliberately restricted to what it has access to.   You may be able to do something via an API but that's a tad more more complicated.

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Okay thats unfortunate, but what I thought may be the case.  Thank you for the quick reply.  I guess off to the enhancements then as I have to assume other people struggle with this as well.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member Posts: 1,472 EDU
    I may be able to do something with the API.

I currently have a Bubble app that exports all drawings in the document
    MB - I make FeatureScripts: view FS (My FS's have "Official" beside them)
  • michael_bromleymichael_bromley Member Posts: 63 PRO
    I may be able to do something with the API.

I currently have a Bubble app that exports all drawings in the document
    That sounds awesome!  I've added a custom property for manufacturing method and in my dream world I would export a step file and pdf of the drawings for all parts/assemblies contained in a release package that are marked with a certain manufacturing method. 
  • Raphael_MassicotteRaphael_Massicotte Member Posts: 4 PRO
    That sounds awesome!  I've added a custom property for manufacturing method and in my dream world I would export a step file and pdf of the drawings for all parts/assemblies contained in a release package that are marked with a certain manufacturing method. 
    I am in the exact same situation as you are I hope someone or Onshape could implement such a thing.