Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Mass Exporting Step and Drawing Files

michael_bromleymichael_bromley Member Posts: 110 PRO
I have not done any work with featurescripts yet, but I'm hoping to explore this as an option.  I'm mainly looking for feedback on whether or not what I am after is possible through feature scripts.

Outsourcing fabrication work requires that we export a step file and a pdf drawing for each part to be made.  Currently this requires me to dig through the document, locate each part, export and save as the part number + revision and then rinse/repeat with the drawings.  As you can imagine this is a cumbersome and lengthy process.

Would it be possible to write a feature script to automate this process?  Essentially I need a way to select a bunch of parts and drawings and then export in some standardized naming convention that is a derivative of the part number and revision.

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Sorry, no.  FS will only build features within a partstudio. It's deliberately restricted to what it has access to.   You may be able to do something via an API but that's a tad more more complicated.

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • michael_bromleymichael_bromley Member Posts: 110 PRO
    Sorry, no.  FS will only build features within a partstudio. It's deliberately restricted to what it has access to.   You may be able to do something via an API but that's a tad more more complicated.

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Okay thats unfortunate, but what I thought may be the case.  Thank you for the quick reply.  I guess off to the enhancements then as I have to assume other people struggle with this as well.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    I may be able to do something with the API.

I currently have a Bubble app that exports all drawings in the document
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    I may be able to do something with the API.

I currently have a Bubble app that exports all drawings in the document
    That sounds awesome!  I've added a custom property for manufacturing method and in my dream world I would export a step file and pdf of the drawings for all parts/assemblies contained in a release package that are marked with a certain manufacturing method. 
  • Ivan_DeetlefsIvan_Deetlefs Member Posts: 23 PRO
    That sounds awesome!  I've added a custom property for manufacturing method and in my dream world I would export a step file and pdf of the drawings for all parts/assemblies contained in a release package that are marked with a certain manufacturing method. 
    I am in the exact same situation as you are I hope someone or Onshape could implement such a thing. 
    Me too. I currently have a 100+ part assembly of which I need to export all the drawings and STEP files. You can imagine how long this will take.
    Yikes thats a days worth of work unfortunately.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I was just coming to write a post about printing drawings, this post is not far from what I was coming to discuss so I'll post here. I have a customer who likes to print and check all his drawings. What I want is an easy way to select all the drawings from the tab manager/or doc, then I can print in one step and hand them to him.

@MBartlett21 do you have more info on your app?

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @brucebartlett
    My app was working until a few releases ago, when it stopped exporting drawings :(
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @brucebartlett
    My app was working until a few releases ago, when it stopped exporting drawings :(
    Ahhh.. I was really hopefully. I spend so much time on these processes at the end of a project. Looking forward very much to improvements here. 
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @rob_rowland

For batch export with specific naming, I would recommend our API for the time being. 

We do have significant request volme for both of the requests you are making.  Please add your vote as well:
    Here is an IR for batch export:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/6947/batch-export-files

Here is an IR for changing the default name of an exported file:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/4753/export-parts-with-pn-and-revision-number-included-in-the-file-name/p1
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    @rob_rowland

For batch export with specific naming, I would recommend our API for the time being. 

We do have significant request volme for both of the requests you are making.  Please add your vote as well:
    Here is an IR for batch export:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/6947/batch-export-files

Here is an IR for changing the default name of an exported file:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/4753/export-parts-with-pn-and-revision-number-included-in-the-file-name/p1
    I really need something here Jake.  Just looking at another pile of drawing I going to have to spend a few hrs export to pdf.  A job that should take 5-10 minutes seems to take 2 hrs with Onshape. Why can't we group select and export from the tab manager?    
    Seems we need to push the improvement request up the chain with more votes.  I have to imagine that every professional user has encountered this at one time or another.  Interaction with third parties typically requires an export, unfortunately that is the world we live in currently.
  • rob_rowlandrob_rowland Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    @Jake_Rosenfeld   Thanks.   I've upvoted both of the IR's you listed.     
  • ethan_postethan_post Member Posts: 1
    I had a potential client get in touch with me about solving a problem that sounds fairly similar to this one but they have not followed up. I am interested in the problem and I have poked around the API a bit. I am considering working on it but would like to make sure it is worth the time and better understand the most common needs/requirements. If anyone wants to talk ping me here or look my up on Linked In. Thanks! 
  • BMcGaffeyBMcGaffey Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    We are currently using an app called CadLink here to do mass export to our ERP. All step files and drawings belonging to a given assembly or part studio. It was built by a company called QBuild (next-door to us). I basically just copy and paste the assembly URL into a window and it brings up the BOM where I can select exactly what I want to export. It then runs through, grabs all the drawings and step files for all the parts in the assembly, gives the parts part numbers, uploads it all to our ERP, then updates the properties in Onshape. We don't use the Onshape part numbers so we link description and our own part number property. Its working well so far, haven't had any issues. It is a separate desktop app at the moment, but I believe the plan is to have it integrated into the Onshape environment.