Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Alignment problem

charles_putneycharles_putney Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
I have two parts that fit together in an assembly.  The pillar in the part Base defined in sketch 8 is on the vertical centerline.  The hole in the part Cover is on the vertical centerline.  But in Assembly2 they are not aligned. I can't see why they should not be vertically aligned.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f47ac270fa1f159d8094bd2c/w/e13a2d7d9ec39f4328b12f93/e/dbc2be588882dc62f83cbc8b

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,367
    You have to add mates between them. Insert the base (press the green check mark in the dialog rather than place it on the screen), right click and Fix. Then insert the cover and use a Fasten mate. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    I have added a fasten mate, but that is not the problem I have.  I have modified the drawings to show my issue more clearly.  The post on the part called Base is dimensioned on sketch 8 and and is on the vertical centerline.  On the part called Cover, the hole drawn in sketch 2 is also on the vertical centerline.  The tab on the parts allows no slop on the fit.  In the Assembly, I think that the post should go through the centre of the hole.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f47ac270fa1f159d8094bd2c/w/e13a2d7d9ec39f4328b12f93/e/15198a6aaeb284ed0856e5ef

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,367
    You might want to to take a closer look at Sketch 1 in Cover :)
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Whoops.  Red Faces here.