Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Rubber expanding seal?

matt_espinozamatt_espinoza Member Posts: 3
edited January 2019 in Community Support
I'm new to OnShape and have designed some brackets and parts for 3D printing and CNC machining, however something i'm working on requires a rubber seal that expands when compressed between two parts. I recently read about the rubber gasket feature, but am curious if OnShape supports rubber materials that can compress. Thanks!

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    Hello @matt_espinoza and welcome to Onshape.

There is an o-ring feature, you can get it here. However, to simulate compressed materials, you have to model it that way. This is OK for off-the-shelf items like o-rings that you don't have to detail, but not for custom gaskets that you need to create a drawing of.

The way to create a custom part is to use configurations to model it in its compressed and uncompressed state, though I think this may be a little overkill for what you are trying to do.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    matt_espinozamatt_espinoza Member Posts: 3
    NeilCooke said:
    The way to create a custom part is to use configurations to model it in its compressed and uncompressed state, though I think this may be a little overkill for what you are trying to do.

Do you have any links that describe how to use configurations for compressed/uncompressed states? I'd like to be able to show the mechanical movement of the parts and have the seal compress and uncompress with the movement. Would this be achievable?
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    Do you have any links that describe how to use configurations for compressed/uncompressed states? I'd like to be able to show the mechanical movement of the parts and have the seal compress and uncompress with the movement. Would this be achievable?
    Not dynamically or for animation. If you wanted to see a seal compress in an assembly, you can only really do it at the start and end states and nothing in-between. Here's a simple (not accurate) example: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2bf06bd604c8b62f9f17f2a0
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI