Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Projected Curve, Terminology

famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
I'm wondering about a few things here: 

1. why does the box ask for "sketch"; isn't it an entity or a sketch entity it should ask for? You pick an entity here, not a full sketch, which might include several sketch entities
2. why can't a sketch entity be a construction entity? If I try to make "Edge of stigning" a construction spline, it fails. 

Answers

• Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could be changed in the Projected curve feature
            annotation { "Name" : "First sketch", "Filter" : EntityType.EDGE && SketchObject.YES && ConstructionObject.NO }
            definition.sketchEdges1 is Query;
            annotation { "Name" : "Second sketch", "Filter" : EntityType.EDGE && SketchObject.YES && ConstructionObject.NO }
            definition.sketchEdges2 is Query;
    could be:

annotation { "Name" : "First sketch entity", "Filter" : EntityType.EDGE && SketchObject.YES }
            definition.sketchEdges1 is Query;
            annotation { "Name" : "Second sketch entity", "Filter" : EntityType.EDGE && SketchObject.YES }
            definition.sketchEdges2 is Query;
    I would like the change proposed in 1) and I do not see any problem in making the change proposed in 2)

I have created an improvement request here https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/10883/change-projected-curve-precondition/p1?new=1
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    edited January 2019

1. why does the box ask for "sketch"; isn't it an entity or a sketch entity it should ask for? You pick an entity here, not a full sketch, which might include several sketch entities
    2. why can't a sketch entity be a construction entity? If I try to make "Edge of stigning" a construction spline, it fails. 
    1. Because you might want to pick a full sketch (although extrude surface says "sketch curves" so maybe that would be better)
    2. Because construction entities are for construction only
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
     :D 
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    NeilCooke said:

1. Because you might want to pick a full sketch
    2. Because construction entities are for construction only
    1. Isn't entity a more broader term, then?
    2. in the image here, I only use the splines in 1) to construct the splines in 2). Shouldn't 1) be construction splines, then?

• Options
    Actually hereunder is an example in which I would prefer to be able to select constructive geometry (with the Beams feature).

Having the lines of the sketches as constructive geometry does not highlight the areas in the sketches and sometimes it is easier to select other entities

Un saludo,