Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Unwanted linking of version/history tree between duplicated part studios

Cedric_EveleighCedric_Eveleigh Member, OS Professional, csevp Posts: 59 PRO
I duplicated a part studio and now when I change the version/history tree of one, it creates an equal change to the version/history tree of the other, even if the parts in the two part studios are now different. I really do not want this; it makes the duplicate part studio feature unusable to me. Is there any way to avoid the linking of version/history trees?

Comments

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    Please share a link
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Are you saying you want Part Studio 1 to be a different Version than Part Studio 2? Versions are for the entire document so every element in a doc will always be the same Version. Physical changes do not propagate between duplicated Part Studios unless you used the Derive feature? To avoid them having the same Version number (which is nothing more than a bookmark in the document history), paste the duplicate tab into a new document. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Cedric_EveleighCedric_Eveleigh Member, OS Professional, csevp Posts: 59 PRO
    @NeilCooke
    Yes, I was hoping to have part studios in the same document with different version/history trees. From what you're saying, it sounds like that's not possible. And to answer your question, physical changes were not propagating between my duplicated part studios, but changes to the version/history tree were. Thanks for your reply.
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited January 2019
    @cedric_eveleigh392

Just to confirm, History is at the document level.  If you want to explore different design iterations for that Part Studio, consider making a version, and then branching into two or more different branches to represent different designs.  Then you can merge back the one that ends up being the best.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team