Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

STL export, naming & saving

steve_maiettasteve_maietta Member Posts: 54 PRO
Hey, Im wondering if there is a way to name and specify where to save STL files, made from parts?  ID love the be able to rename parts as I export them and specify a folder to save to.

Also, STL export settings, are they saved with the part file?

thanks!

~Steve
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited June 2015
    When I RMB click 'Export to STL' in part list, it will first open the setting dialog, then save as dialog; there I can set filename and location on my hd.
    //rami
  • Options
    abefeldmanabefeldman Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    @steve_maietta  - there isn't currently a way within Onshape to change the name of the STL file during export, but you can go in and change your browser settings to prompt you for a download location, which will allow you to change the file name at the same time.  Instructions can be found here for Chrome:  https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95574?hl=en

By STL export settings do you mean the type, units, and resolution?  If so, we store your resolution setting, and default to the document units.
    Abe Feldman
    UX/PD/Community Support
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Abe, you are right - Onshape feels so native that sometimes I forget it runs in browser. I have ticked the box in settings to always ask the save location. 
    //rami
  • Options
    steve_maiettasteve_maietta Member Posts: 54 PRO
    Allright, cool.  On the spot naming would be nice though!  Perhaps an option in the STL export settings popup.

~Steve
  • Options
    christopher_owenschristopher_owens Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
    @3dcad @abefeldman  Hello! Looks like this is an "old" topic! But it would be GREAT when you RMB on a part that the STL file (at least) gets the part's name and not the document's name!! e.g. I have multiple parts in a document that I am exporting to STLs.

• Options
    christopher_owenschristopher_owens Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
    AH, I guess it gets the document's name AND the part's name...so that's not so bad!