Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Extracting control point coordinates from spline curves

tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
I'm modeling a roller coaster for export into a third-party simulation environment. In that environment, I will need to use a point-on-curve constraint to hold the passenger cars on the track. With this in mind, I'm wondering—is there an easy way to extract the control points for a spline curve in Onshape? (The track is based on a series of spline curves.) I can always open the sketches for the splines and use dimensions to get a sense of the control point coordinates, but I wonder if there is a more convenient way to do this. Thanks for whatever suggestions you can share!
Tagged:

Comments

• konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you could make an FS which prints point to the console. but why don't you build some surface, which contains your trajectory as one of the edges and export it as part?
  • tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    Ha! That's a neat idea. I will still need the numerical coordinates for the spline, I have to add, but the surface could come in handy for visualization if the track proves too large a file for simulation. I'll keep it in mind. I guess I'll need to (finally) get my hands on FS for the numerical coordinates. Thanks again for the suggestion!