Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Help with placing holes

brian_15brian_15 Member Posts: 8
I'm trying to build a support gusset, it is tapered and I want lightening holes along the length of it, a pretty standard type of thing I do. I'll attach the link to the project, but the first hole I would like on the right hand side, .300" from the top and bottom edge, .750 from the right end. Then I would like progressively smaller holes spaced with a .300" web between each hole, maintaining my .300" width top the top and bottom. What method can I use to draw these holes? This should be the link to the document.... I hope, first time trying this...

Extension table  Main           

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    dustin_hecocksdustin_hecocks Member Posts: 10
    edited June 2015
    Hi @brian_15 , I opened up your link, but there seemed to only be some sketches, no actual features. Without being able to see the features, its hard to understand what you are trying to do. But my method would be to create your features, essentially extrude your sketches to the shape without any holes. Then create sketches on the face of that feature to create your holes. I would not attempt to put all of the holes on the first sketch. Simple sketches, multiple features. I only see the sketch, so if you have already done what I mentioned, I apologize.
  • Options
    Hi Dustin,

OK, went and extruded the actual shape.... I'm used to adding any thru holes to the basic sketch so my extruded shape is done. But none the less, I extruded the basic support, added a parallel line down .300" from the top, up .300" from the angled bottom. I would like to draw circles bounded in that area, first one having a wall thickness to the right edge of .750 (I tried to draw that it and it keeps doing the line to what length I draw and won't let me change it, maybe a bug in the software I assume). Then each successive hole to the left would be spaced with a .300" web between the holes and whatever size they turn out to be to fit between the confines of the upper and lower lines.

I hope that makes more sense....
  • Options
    dustin_hecocksdustin_hecocks Member Posts: 10
    Hey Brian,

Short answer, yes and no. So it can certainly be done, and I have attached a link to the file with the hole I just made. The problem, which is what I think you are asking about, is I do not currently see a way to automate it. Here is how I did it. Took about 2 minutes.

1. Started a sketch on the side face.
    2. Took the constraining lines you put in, converted them to a sketch entity in my sketch, and then made them for construction only. In the future, these do not need to be separate sketches; the construction lines can be created in the sketch for the holes.
    3. Draw the circles, make them tangent to both the top and bottom line, and then dimension.
    4. Extrude - subtract.

Let me know what you think. It can be easily done, but I dont see a way to automatically pattern this with the constraint to OD in OnShape. I could be wrong, but I don't currently see the capability to perform that kind of pattern in OS. Hope that helps!

Extension Table Copy
  • Options
    Hi Dustin,

Looks great... but I'm having a bit of trouble replicating it. I guess I need to play with Onshape more as I'm sure these problems might be my ignorance of the software. OK, drew a circle between the lines, then constrained it to be tangent to both lines, that part went ok. Then I tried to dimension it .75" from the right edge and it won't move, it stays at whatever position I drew it at. 

So then I backed up and tried putting a line off the right edge and then go to dimension it and it stays at whatever I drew it at, and typing in .75 doesn't change the length of the line. I had no problems drawing and then dimensioning the other lines to create the part this far, but for some reason I'm having trouble now. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Now, assuming I get over this hurdle, the next circle to the left, do you draw it in, set it tangent and then dimension between the new circle and the old circle to .300"? Just trying to figure out the process you used.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I would do this with one sketch as @brian_15 originally intended.
    Here's a quick demonstration: 
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d29ff8e74a0f49809e533f48/w/48fedb2064cc4f30a27ee6e8/e/30f6cda80d9b4ab099fd4ce5

I didn't dimension the holes, just constrained to construction lines so you can drag them around to see how it behaves.

Click 'show constraints' check box in sketch dialog to see all constraints of the sketch.
    //rami
  • Options
    Thanks 3dcad,

I follow your method and easily updated the original project with the holes now. My one issue, is the first hole on the right, largest one, should be .750" from the right edge. It turned out .777" and I can't get it to move to .750. Do I have it unintentionally locked or something? I can't position it .750 from the edge, I can't draw a line .750 off the edge.... so I'm baffled. 

I just free handed it in and then the subsequent holes were easy to draw in undersize, dimension them to the hole to the right by .300" and then apply the tangent constraint to the top and bottom line. 

So, if I can figure out how.why I can't seem to accurately place the first hole, I'm good from there for the rest of the holes.

I do appreciate the help!

Oh, link to the modified original design now, with the holes....

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2b7d6c92e35941ee92bb4a72/w/93bb1419b2694510a252b166/e/4a46f5dd70c24818a8537510
  • Options
    OK, it must have something to do with my keyboard. I tried about 20 times to change the dimension and then I tried .1" and it jumped, then I couldn't get it to go back. Had been using the numeric 10 key portion and instead used the numerals above the qwerty section and also typed the dimension to three decimal places and it went back to .750. So, either a glitch in the software or a glitch in my keyboard, either way, I was able to get the end result I was looking for.

Thanks again for all the help.
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been having similar problems for some time now, with edited dimensions failing to update, and just half an hour ago raised a Support ticket for this apparent bug. I suggest you do the same (use the "Feedback" option under the ? sign from the offending document)
  • Options
    Hi Andrew, interesting... what computer do you have, I'm running an iMac with the larger 10 key usb wired keyboard. I'll do the support ticket as you suggest. I used the same computer and keyboard to do other CAM software and have had no issues with numerical input... so maybe it is a bug in the software.
  • Options
    andy_morrisandy_morris Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 87
    edited June 2015
    We are investigating the problem of dimensions not updating in Onshape sessions this morning. I'll get back to you when we have more information.
    In the meantime, you should be able to get around this by refreshing your document.
    Thanks for your patience,
    Andy
    Andy Morris / Head of Product Design / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    HI Andy, I'll wait to hear what you find out. A couple of other things, is there a way to keep a specific drawing option active? For example, I'm drawing lines, say I draw several lines and then want to hit escape to quit the current line and then jump back to a previous line end to draw more lines... when I hit escape it not only stops the line, it kicks me out of the current drawing choice. I have to go back in and select line again.... seems to add a lot of keystrokes to the process.

Another thing/feature, is could we have instant/active dimensional input into the drawing? I'm an Alibre user and it has active dimensioning so when I draw a line, if the length is known, I can just type it in as I draw it and not have to draw the feature and then dimension it afterwards.

Thanks for listening and I'm impressed with the support  that I'm finding here.
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brian_15 said:
    Hi Andrew, interesting... what computer do you have, I'm running an iMac with the larger 10 key usb wired keyboard. I'll do the support ticket as you suggest. I used the same computer and keyboard to do other CAM software and have had no issues with numerical input... so maybe it is a bug in the software.
    I have had the problem with both my Chromebook and my Windows 7x64  laptop