Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Importing PCB from Eagle

Hi, I've created a PCB in Eagle and would like to export it from Eagle and then import it into OnShape so I can design a box for it. I can't find a way to do this. There seems to be an old app IDF-to-3D that no longer exists that would have done this, but I don't think it exists anymore.

Best Answer

Answers

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Yes, bloody annoying isn't it?  I attended an Autodesk webinar to ask them how you get their Eagle PCB's into their Fusion360 so I could CNC the copper to make prototype PCB's.  Their answer was along the lines of "Yeah, that's the ultimate goal, it sure would be nice to do that some day."  I'm so very glad I bougt seats of Eagle and F360!

In the mean time it can squirt solid models of the PCB substrate and the components into 360, and a dodgy looking image/decal "representing" what the tracks would look like.  You can then take those solids, export them as step files and them import into Onshape, but alas, no tracks will be present.

What is your end goal here, enclosure design?

O.S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • daniel_haberdaniel_haber Member Posts: 3
    @Marc_Miller Thank you!!!! I had Eagle 9.1.3 so I upgraded to 9.3 and it worked! Does look a little funny but it will be a lot easier to make an enclosure now.
  • joe_dunnejoe_dunne Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 198
    edited February 2019
    FYI.... there will soon be a new App Store App, that will address this topic. It looks to me to be very good. Its likely they will be looking for interested users soon. Send me an email if this is of interest to you jdunne@onshape.com. IDX..... ProSTEP approach.
    Joe Dunne / Onshape, Inc.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    @Marc_Miller - Thanks for the heads up!

@joe_dunne - Email sent :)

Cheers, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd