Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Problem with unfolding imported file: Example included

Rein_TormRein_Torm Member Posts: 7
Hello,

First of all, thank you for the innovative product!
I have a problem with flattening and getting radiuses out of imported file. I have this .STEP file and I want to flatten this, and get the information about the bend. Problem is that when I start converting it to sheet metal model, it turns it to 6 parts and creates flat pattern of each part. I need to get flat pattern, bend radius and angle of single solid part. How can I achieve this in OnShape?

Examples below(SolidEdge and OnShape): 

SolidEdge

OnShape 

Answers

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    Hello @Rein_Torm

You can use my custom feature here with the "Recognise" option selected:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a39db7615a2a945ffb7076c3
    To use it, click the "Add custom features" button in the toolbar and select the sheet metal model feature.
    You can then open your document and it will be in the custom feature toolbar

mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Try the Thicken option instead of Convert.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Rein_TormRein_Torm Member Posts: 7
    Hello @Rein_Torm

You can use my custom feature here with the "Recognise" option selected:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a39db7615a2a945ffb7076c3
    To use it, click the "Add custom features" button in the toolbar and select the sheet metal model feature.
    You can then open your document and it will be in the custom feature toolbar

Thanks for the plugin. I tried it, but have some issues. I either get the unfolded shape OR the bend radius. If I select only the part, it will give me unfolded visual but as soon as I select the bend area, or any other edge, it says the part cannot be unfolded. Maybe I'm just using it wrong, or is this the way it is supposed to work. Added screenshots for detail.

Bend angle

NeilCooke said:
    Try the Thicken option instead of Convert.

I also tried thicken, but for some reason the bend in the inner area cannot be thickened? What could be the reason for that. Screenshot added: 

You may have to delete the bend faces using delete face.
    My Recognise feature will add in the bend radius that you specify
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    Make sure the direction of the Thicken is correct, otherwise the internal radius may be going to zero.
    NeilCooke said:
    Make sure the direction of the Thicken is correct, otherwise the internal radius may be going to zero.
    Thanks, Neil. This solution worked for this simple L-profile but when trying to use it on a more complicated file, Thicken fails, because thicken will cover other bends. Is there any way to avoid this, I didn't find appropriate option in the Thicken menu. I'm trying to find a solution that would work for all cases. 
    The first image shows the moment it cannot convert to sheet metal anymore. On the second image it can be seen why, it cannot work. Sample file "complicated.step" added as an attachment.

You may have to delete the bend faces using delete face.
    My Recognise feature will add in the bend radius that you specify
    I deleted the bend faces and it worked for this detail, but unfortunately failed with another one. Detail was highlighted red but no error description was provided. I added the file as an attachment "stair.step"
    @Rein_Torm we recognise that this process is far from perfect and currently cannot convert all cases. It is something that we are looking at so if we can use your example that would be great. I am not seeing the attachment (that may be an issue with the forum software) - can you share the URL for your document and maybe import the STEP file into there? Thanks.

@NeilCooke I totally undestand. Here are the links to two files I had problems with. Steps should be included there. Let me know if you need any extra information for debugging. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9c0ee9201a1624354d6c24f1/w/22b87b028cced6a1f5c49614/e/d306d3572117788bd63498d0
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6d932f883b5c04ffb45462d2/w/d73d92b54e41f2d67bd56775/e/082de6bf5c5c715928d69b78
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    edited February 2019
    Please see my copy of your first model https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6d8772445ce30d4aa737c1f2/w/a07a7ff51fa028c2871ee74d/e/04dbac4882dbf315f07f150f

If you'd like help with the other one, please make the document public.
    @Rein_Torm
    The first model can just be put through my FeatureScript and it works fine.

IR for AS/NZS 1100