Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

mate connectors for a box inside another box

doug_smith714doug_smith714 Member Posts: 6
I've watched some tutorials and I see how the mate connectors can be powerful, such as the slider mate. I don't understand how to use them in my case though.  I'm modeling a bathroom and trying to place a toilet in it. I believe my question can be answered with a much simpler case though. Suppose I have a large open top box and inside this box I want to place a smaller box.  I've created a planar mate so the small box sits inside the big box. As soon as I try to place another planar mate so that I can exactly place the small box some particular distance from an inside wall, I'm told that the mates are overconstrained.  I don't how I'm supposed to specify the distances between the small box and the two vertical inside walls of the larger box.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Sounds like you may want to use a fastened mate with offset.

here is how that is done:

• Options
    doug_smith714doug_smith714 Member Posts: 6
    Thank you very much, that clarifies things for me.