Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Import and Rotation

famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
I've imported this STL file, but somehow, it's oriented totally wrong. 

Do I have to do all kinds of rotations on this to get it oriented correctly or can I just say that this first surface here is the right side and this other side is the top view, then it would do the rotations magically?;)

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    orientation really doesn't matter as much in Onshape, because parts cannot reference the top/right/front planes in an assembly.

if you really want, you can use transform to re position your part. but the more I use Onshape, the less I find it matters.
  • famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    ok, but still I'd like to understand this 

In this image, the model is rotated about the blue axis, which according to the left is Z-axis

, but why? I've clearly stated that it should be rotated about the Y-axis?

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited March 2019
    @famadorian

The transform feature will aways rotate about the blue (Z) axis of the mate connector.

The "Rotate about Y" is part of the mate connector dialog, allowing you to change the mate connector from its original inference orientation by rotating it a certain number of degrees about its own y axis.  If you play with the "rotation angle" field, you will see the mate connector rotate about its own y axis.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team