Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

For a sketch dimension that is configured, it is possible to change the table label text?

StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
All of the sketch dimensions I add to a configuration table are given generic labels either "Distance", "Diameter", "Radius", or "Angle". Is there a way to change the label text to meaningful descriptive text?

Also, if I add a sketch linear dimension to a configuration List it is given the label "Length" instead of "Distance". Is there a good reason for the labeling difference?  

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Not today, I know it has been brought up before, but I cannot find the Improvement Request... If it was even made..
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    For this very reason today I set a standard partstudio variable and then configure that.
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Yea, again @owen_sparks that method comes with its own set of problems too. More severe IMHO.

Any typo while inserting a part into an assembly or drawing will create a unique part. Also makes it dificult to insert because you have to enter many variables each time, rather than just having ttem all under one drop down list.

Config vars have thier place, I just say keep them to a strict minimum.

In the mean time, I do believe if you mouse over, or click a value in the config table, the corrisponding dim will highlight. (Not sure if the sketch needs to be open, I'm not at a computer at the moment)
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi @john_mcclary , I think we're talking at cross purposes here.  (Or I'm answering a different question to the one actually asked!)

My intent was to say "this bad!" for configuring sketch dimensions, as the entire config table ends up stating "Length"

Instead if you set PS variables, and then configure those, then the design intent is clear in the table.

It's still only one choice as to what to insert as it's driven by a single config option.  I also like that it allows a simple part to have configurations added later.

Cheers, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    O.I.C.

Sure, that would work. I thought you meant adding configuration variables.

IMHO it is a little overkill on variables when mouseover in the config will highlight your configured dim.

We just need the ability to label dims properly...