Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Creating external threads?

k_mcgk_mcg Member Posts: 3 EDU
Hi everyone.  I would be grateful if I could get a heads up on how to create external threads. No bother with creating internal threads.

However I want to create a model engine connecting rod. 62mm in total length on a Diameter 4mm round Silversteel bar. I want to model a standard M4 thread 25mm along the bar from one end and a similar M4 thread in 4mm from the other end. The remaining middle section of the bar stays unthreaded.

I must be missing something as struggling to find external threads tools. 

Many thanks for the words of wisdom

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Thank you Hans. I thought that this might be the case. I use Inventor mainly and have just started moving towards Onshape which I have been really impressed with. As said in my original post I like the internal threading. We produce lots of assembled and component orthographic drawings from the model and it is nice to get all the thread references correct.  Inventor still holds the edge on external threads. 

Thank you for replying. Much appreciated.

Kenny

Answers

• Options
    Hans_Ole_LeirvikHans_Ole_Leirvik Member Posts: 80 PRO
    I hope you get it from this image  :)
    Basically sketch your thread profile and sweep it along the helix.

• Options
    Hans_Ole_LeirvikHans_Ole_Leirvik Member Posts: 80 PRO
    Search for "4mm bar with threads" - It's public

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Thank you Hans. I thought that this might be the case. I use Inventor mainly and have just started moving towards Onshape which I have been really impressed with. As said in my original post I like the internal threading. We produce lots of assembled and component orthographic drawings from the model and it is nice to get all the thread references correct.  Inventor still holds the edge on external threads. 

Thank you for replying. Much appreciated.

Kenny
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
  • Options
    That is more what I am after. Many thanks.