Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

From assembly: edit parts in "Isolate", or something similar

Hi all!

I love Onshape, but what I feel is not so good is the limitations of which tabs let you edit what, and how often you have to wait for switching and loading tabs. I come from a CAD system that lets you edit everytning from the top level assembly, by activating different parts and sub-assemblies on the fly.

What I envision for Onshape is a feature, like Isolate, that opens up/activates the part and its related features you might want to edit, and lets you edit them. Hopefully without bringing up the blue waiting wheel (of death) that comes with loading an entire tab, as it does with edit in context.  

I acknowledge that Edit in context exists, and to get relations between parts and assembly positions, that is all well and good. When just editing an unrelated feature I experience difficulties with selecting the features in a certain part because all the dimmed out parts of the assembly are in front of what you want to select/edit.

It is very beneficial to modeling speed and fluidity, to be able to seamlessly edit parts from the top level assembly, and to edit subassemblies from the higher level assemblies without having to switch/load the tabs.  

This would bring Onshape a huge step ahead of the competition. Speed-wise.

Tagged:

Comments

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @eirik_r_guttulsrud
    You can double-click on a part in the instance list to bring the Part Studio up with the assembly showing.
    You can hide parts before editing the part you want, and they will not show in the Part Studio
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • eirik_r_guttulsrudeirik_r_guttulsrud Member Posts: 23 PRO
    @MBartlett21 I am aware of this, but it is not a good enough solution; hiding and showing and loading the full part studio (into the assembly). Too many clicks and too much waiting for stuff to pop up. I am used to feeling like a concert pianist when CAD-ing. Full freedom and instant response from the software. Now I feel more like holding a triangle, waiting for my que. 
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @eirik_r_guttulsrud

Since you are a pro customer, it would be very useful for us to hear your feedback on this in a one-on-one manner.  Edit-in-context is our approach to what you are asking for, we don't have any plans to create an additional module where the Part Studio is pulled into the assembly (rather than the Assembly pulled into the Part Studio, as we already have).  Please contact support using the "Contact support" button in the "?" menu of any document, so that we can open a dialogue on how we can make you feel like a concert pianist once again!
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    I totally agree that the way the parts / features / edges etc of the other parts get in the way and almost seem to work against selection of features / faces etc on the part that you're trying to edit in context.

@eirik_r_guttulsrud is talking about. That would also reduce the need to hide / show other instances first.
  • Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    I totally agree that the way the parts / features / edges etc of the other parts get in the way and almost seem to work against selection of features / faces etc on the part that you're trying to edit in context.

@eirik_r_guttulsrud is talking about. That would also reduce the need to hide / show other instances first.
    All the referenced geometry being selectable also bothers me. I always have to go back to the assembly and turn everything off that I don't want shown after creating the context, but sometimes there isn't a way around it. Solidworks has an option to "Enable selection through transparency", so you can't click on the ghosted parts unless you hold the shift key during selection or use the select other command.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I don't think select other works on the ghosted parts either, which can be an issue with the selection. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977