Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Seeing Red Lines Shelling

minesh_govenjiminesh_govenji Member Posts: 2
This is my very first project using onShape. Please excuse any incorrect usage of industry language or terms.

I am seeing red lines on part/ shapes when I try shell out my model. 

I am trying to shell this shape:

But I see these red lines when I click on shell:

Any help with issue will be helpful. Thanks! 

Comments

• Options
    TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    The red lines indicate the edges that are preventing the shell feature from solving. If you can make your document public and reply with the url someone from the community may be able to take a look and help!
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited March 2019
    In the absence of a public Document to work on - does this help?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/dfeba83782c4273e64037188/w/9bc87bd799e7a9c64098b030/e/e68e881a0ca822bda146ba1e

The Variable numLobes works from 3 to n (not sure what the upper limit is).
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Phillip's geometry is really clean and therefore it'll shell. 

@minesh_govenji your geometry, specifically this:

You see those double edges in the center of the image?, that won't work. Shelling isn't magic and requires clean geometry.

To figure out which faces are violating a shell, offset the faces and when offset stops working, that's your problem. Shell offsets the faces 1st. If you can't offset them, it won't be able to either.

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    ^^^What Bill said :)

Philip Thomas - Onshape