Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Select from configured list with equation in assembly

Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
Is it possible to select a configuration from a list via an equation in an assembly?

I need the size of trim cap for channel letters to be based on the height of the channel letter. When the letter is 18" tall or less 3/4" is used, 1" if taller than 18". I'm using the Beam FS to create the trim cap around a profile in a part studio. Then I create a subassembly of the trim cap so it is all grouped together when put in the final assembly. I would like to have the size of the trim cap automatically selected based on the height of the letters. Currently I have created a list selection where I'll have to remember to choose the right size based on the height selected.
I'm wondering if I need to use a sketch native to the part studio to accomplish this or if I'm just missing something.
I can't share my document because the customer doesn't want their IP to be public.

Best Answer

Answers

• Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    @Cris_Bowers

I think the way I would do this is to have just a length configuration in the part studio (rather than a list), and then in the assembly, use some kind of ternary statement as the input to the part studio config:

(#textHeight > (18 in)) ? (1 in) : (0.75 * in) 

I can mock up an example if this doesn't make sense.
    So I need to change the list in the trim cap profile part studio to a variable? I was trying to avoid this because there are really only 2 possible configurations, but not a big deal I guess.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    NeilCooke said:
    The use case is only true for this particular customer. Another customer might want 3/4" for all letter heights or require the change to 1" at a different height. I don't really want to make a different trim cap profile specific to customers and it doesn't make sense to add an additional configuration table for customers because we might only make a single sign for a customer and never deal with them again.