Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Hollow Part?

christopher_owenschristopher_owens Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
 I have thought of a "Hollow' part. I suppose a Boolean of a Scaled in Place Part inside a Part. Or Slice the Part in two, shell both pieces and Boolean back together. Perhaps under Shell could be a Hollow. Might be a 3D Printing want! I imagine you could Extrude a "Drain Hole" to a Wall Thickness depth and pick the bottom surface for the Shell??
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    edited July 2015
    @andrew_troup  I tried the "Drain Hole" and accidentally found something out! The Extrude-Remove is only 0.05in deep. I picked the bottom of the "hole" for the surface to shell. The Shell is 0.1in thickness! So I got a Hollow part without a "hole" in it!

• Options
    Just for fun and to verify!

• Options
    I stumbled across this creating a revolved surface. In Sketch 1 is a construction line that is to be used as the axis of revolution. When doing a surface it fails saying surface intersects itself. But click on Solid and it creates the solid! Something to watch out for?? I selected the entire sketch by picking on it in the Feature list. I assumed any construction line would be "ignored".

• Options
    @jakeramsley  & @andrew_troup  After a couple of tries I got this to work! I got "confused" at first by the term 'surfaces' by just trying to create Surfaces and Thicken those! I was wondering how you got an Extrude-Surface with "ends"! Once I reread the tip a couple of times and tried it...the light bulb brightened! Can't pick the Part 1 from the list... oh window-box selects every surface!
  • Options
    caroline_readcaroline_read Member Posts: 31
    I don't really understand the difference between the shell feature and what a hollow feature would be. 
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    I don't really understand the difference between the shell feature and what a hollow feature would be. 
    Shell features removes the selected face and then offsets all other faces of the part to create a wall thickness.  Hollow doesn't remove the selected face, just offsets all of the faces to create a wall thickness.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Shell would be used to create a "tray" for example, or a "tupperware" bowl. Something that has an opening and a wall thickness elsewhere. Hollow would create something like an inflatable football or beach ball eg. Or a Chocolate Easter Bunny!