Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Reuse a previous feature to make another Part, a "lost" tool in a Boolean-Merge for example?!

christopher_owenschristopher_owens Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
edited July 2015 in Community Support
I did locate the Loft that created my "lost" tool part used in a Boolean-Merge. What if there was a "Use" or "Recreate" option in this menu??? Then I could make a new Part using Loft 1 without a lot of hassle!

Answers

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Roll back to where the body has just been created, RMB on the corresponding "Part" in the part listing, choose "Copy", click on the body to insert it into the dialog box, but don't specify any translation or rotation, and you will have an identical second body to reuse in any way you wish.
    It will appear in the feature list as "Transform"; in a complex model it might pay to give it a more specific name, like "Copy for Tool" or some such.

ON EDIT
    For better clarity of purpose, rather than settle for the default "translate" option, pull down the menu to choose "Copy in Place"
    One good thing about a history based modeller (some would say, THE good thing) is that you can go back in time.

It's not strictly necessary to think of everything you may need to do in future with the model, because you have "rollback" which is, essentially, Time Travel.
  • christopher_owenschristopher_owens Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
    @andrew_troup  Actually the "Copy Sketch" comes in handy! I can create a new part out of copied sketches with are now independent from the originals! Thought about that at lunch!
    edited July 2015
    You might in some instances do better with Use/Project, rather than Copy. I hope in future that we will be able to emulate the "Derived" sketch of Solidworks, in order to make a live copy of a sketch (one which updates along with the original)
  • christopher_owenschristopher_owens Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
    @andrew_troup  Yes I can reuse that part, unless I want to "resize" it. Then that also changes the original "lost" tool and it's Boolean. Coping the sketches creates a fully new part. I think for a loft that takes some tweaking to get to work this would be very handy! Copy the profiles and guide curves so they are close but maybe you want to vary the guide curve.