Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

configuration and variables export

otaolafrotaolafr Member Posts: 113 EDU
hello!
i have created a document where i have a lot of different variables dependances and configurations,i wanted to know if there is any possible "trick" to be able to export the .STL/.STEP and also be able to copy the different values in a table or something like that? i though of a drawing with a table with the variables inside? (also how i can call the variables in a table? is it possible?) 

thanks!

Answers

• nicholas_aarestadnicholas_aarestad Member Posts: 14 EDU
    I don't think there's currently any way to do this, but I think you could probably rig up a FeatureScript to do it. I don't think there's any standard way to export the configurations though, so that might be tough.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,883 PRO
    edited July 2019
    You can call out part properties in a text field, a table, or just use a BOM.
    They are called either "Sheet References" or "Drawing Properties"

I would suggest using BOM beacause you can directly export that to CSV or directly into the clipboard to paste into google sheets or something.
    You will need to put one of each configured part into an assembly, then add the columns to the table you want.

as for exporting all configs into step files and a table in one click.. These kind of automation tasks are only available through the API. There are a few good API devs crawling around the forums. Maybe they have a piece they have been working on that may fit some of your needs.
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    @Otaola_Franco
    Try sharing your document with the recipient by e-mail address and he/she would be invited into Onshape. May be you would not need to export.
    edited July 2019
    @Lana, even our internal release procedures require the designer to export all parts into step for the programmers. So I can see where he is coming from needing to export everything in bulk.

It comes down to responsibility, Onshape has too many avenues for people unfamiliar with the document to get lost. (branches/versions/configurations etc)

It is much safer to have the designer export the proper parts rather than hoping the CAM jockey grabs the correct version of a part.
    @john_mcclary
    I'd like to pursue this topic a little further if don't mind. If you were able to share a particular version, or a particular part studio in that version so that your collaborator has no chance of getting it wrong, would Onshape sharing replace export then? Let's think one step further. You had to make corrections and resend the part to the manufacturer. How you are making sure he does not confuse the old version and the new version? 
    In the end you have to export the part to CAM anyway.
    Whether I do it or the CAM operator it doesn't really matter. But I will know without a doubt which part variation needs to be made more than anyone in the company.

So If I give him the wrong step file, it falls to me to blame. Where the blame belongs :)

If he exports the wrong step file, (or does all his exporting at the same time being pro-active) then he may have an out of date version I don't know about. Now it falls on him to take the blame. (that coupled with the fact there are a lot of folks here that can barely turn on a computer, let alone pick out a needle in a haystack)

To me it is like setting someone up for failure. Kind of a dick move to just share the document and pray they get it right :)

I release all the correct steps on release day, and re-export all changed parts and maintain a directory on the server as they change throughout the manufacturing process.
    Solidworks task scheduler made this super easy. But Onshape still requires the manual touch. :)

I'm fine with doing it manual, but it just laid out my workflow for him :)
    Thank you @john_mcclary for explaining your process.