Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is it posible to create parts from an imported asembly?

I have imported a combination of pieces in step format and I want to know if it is posible to create an independant parts from the imported body.

Answers

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited July 2015
    Onshape works with a combination of Part studio's and Assemblies. Generally when creating parts you will build them in the part studio with parametric links depending on design intent or ease of construction.  When importing a step file, as default you will get an assembly which will position parts as per the original assembly pre export and a part studio with all parts placed at the origin or you can chose to flatten the assembly straight to a part studio with the parts positioned as per the assembly.

You might need to play around with the different options depending the the final result you want. I find I tend to import groups of parts in assemblies and flatten to a part studios so parts are defined in position, this gives me references to build on if need be and I then recreate a new Onshape assembly from scratch with the Onshape mate's.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭

aratz_de_vicente_luja  , you can Import a step file to part studio and you can find the different parts in model tree as below,