Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Split function : "tool cannot split the selected part"

JFMorissetteJFMorissette Member Posts: 2 EDU
I'm having trouble with the Split function in onshape. Basically, I have a large ring-shaped part that I want to split in 6-8 segments to make them manageable for our 3d printer. I want the split to have a sort of jigsaw-puzzle shape so that I can assemble the printed ring segments more robustly. To achieve that I thought of doing the following : 
1-create a spline sketch of an arbitrary shape in a plane parallel to my part
2-extrude that sketch into a surface along the axis of the part 
3-Use this surface as a split tool ("Entity to split with")

Here's an image that I think illustrates what I want to do : 

However, this operation always returns the error message : "Split 2 did not generate properly : tool entity cannot split the selected part". I haven't found anything online about this particular error message, and I don't see any obvious explanation as to why it wouldn't work. I should specify that the part I'm trying to split is an import from Solidworks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Comments