Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Edit section view command

tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
Often, when I'm modeling and using the section view, I want to look at more than one cut plane. So, I end up

1. turning section view on
  2. making my edits
  3. turning section view off
  4. turning section view back on so that I can re-position the cut plane and look at my edit from a different angle/depth/position
  5. repeat.
It would be great if there was a command or shortcut to just bring the section view edit dialog and manipulator handles back up without having to turn the view off then on again. 

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @tim_hess427 Have you tried just clicking on the section face?
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I had not. I remember reading that you could, but I thought that was only when the section view dialog was active. I now see that you can re-position the cut plane by clicking on the face when the section view dialog isn't active. I think this will cover a lot of my needs (assuming I don't forget about it). 

I still think it would be useful (or at least more intuitive, because its what I looked for) to have an "edit section plane" command in list underneath the view cube. It would also give you direct access to plane selection if you want to jump right to a specific plane. 

So... I guess I would revise this to be: 
    1. Make the "click face to edit section view" function more obvious or discoverable.
    2. When you do click the face of the section view, I think the plane selection dialog should also re-appear along with the triad manipulator
    3. It still wouldn't hurt to have and "edit section view" item in the view list under the view cube (I'm not sure of the official name...)
    Thanks for the tip @lougallo !
  • Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    @tim_hess427 don't forget the ultra fast keyboard shortcut of shift+x to turn section view on and off