Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Linking a configurable variable in an assembly

Jose_MoralesJose_Morales Member Posts: 15 PRO
Given that (to my knowledge) there is no way to have a sketch text linked to a configurable variable I went ahead and wrote my own feature script that takes a text field in the from a configurable variable and engraves said text onto the part.This part is then used in an assembly and I want to, in the assembly level, be able to have a configurable variable that controls the text engraved onto the part. However, when I bring this part into an assembly I am not able to use the configurable assembly variable to control that field in the configurable part studio. I have tried going into the "change configuration" option for the part in the assembly and right clicking the field in question. When I do this all my other configuration tables show up, but no configuration variable options are shown. I have also tried linking the configuration variable directly by filling the field with"# *configuration variable name*" but it doesn't recognize it as a variable and takes it as a text. 

I wouldn't think that my featurescript feature is the cause seeing as it's in the part studio level. I have controlled configurable variables in part studios using assembly level configurable variables in other documents but I can't figure this one out. Any help is welcome.

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    Sounds like you know what you're doing, but I can't advise you without seeing the document. Can you share it or a simplified version of it?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Jose_MoralesJose_Morales Member Posts: 15 PRO
    @NeilCooke Sure thing. Can I just share it with you directly?

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    I'll DM you.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 657 PRO
    @Jose_Morales
    This is something that lots of folks are interested in. Please post here with an update or solution once you and @NeilCooke figure it out in private.

Thanks!